Showing posts with label Phat Joe. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Phat Joe. Show all posts

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

BCCSA complaints roll in after Phat Joe’s homophobic DStv dinner show on M-Net's 1Magic channel, MultiChoice doesn't want to say why and how Cheeky Palate comments made it to air.


by Thinus Ferreira

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) has received multiple complaints about the alleged homophobic broadcast of Phat Joe's new TV dinner show on M-Net's 1Magic (DStv 103) channel while MultiChoice is shying away from directly answering questions about why the content has been allowed to air.

In Majota Kambule's (known as Phat Joe) latest TV show, Cheeky Palate, produced by Connect TV with Basetsana Kumalo as executive producer that was broadcast Friday night, the host's TV dinner guests like former beauty queen Gerry Rantseli Elsdon and Joshua Maponga made utterances condemning homosexuality as sinful.

Neither the show nor 1Magic offered any counterpoint or balance during the broadcast that quickly veered into homophobia. Other guests in the episode included Nobuntu Webster, Gogo Dineo and Zwai Bala. Phat Joe himself was suspended in 2019 from his Radio 2000 show over homophobic comments.

The BCCSA told TVwithThinus on Tuesday that it had received 5 complaints so far about Cheeky Palate and that these have been submitted to MultiChoice and M-Net who will now have to provide a copy of the broadcast and their comment.

By Tuesday it appeared as if the episode was abruptly removed from MultiChoice's DStv Now Catch Up service. 

It's not clear whether the repeats of Cheeky Palate have been pulled from the 1Magic schedule and MultiChoic that was asked if rebroadcasts on the channel have been removed, didn't answer the question. 

A media enquiry to 1Magic, an in-house produced channel by M-Net, was passed to MultiChoice.

MulticChoice in response to the media enquiry said that "The first episode featured guests from different walks of life, who were invited to speak to their experiences and thoughts on spirituality".

"We acknowledge concerns expressed by some viewers who may have been offended by some of the views expressed on the show, particularly around the LGBTIQ+ community. The views expressed are not those of MultiChoice which embraces diversity, equality and inclusion."

MultiChoice was also asked why M-Net broadcasts homophobic comments like those that were expressed on its airwaves in Cheeky Palate and why the decision was made not to include balance to the viewpoints aired. 

MultiChoice was also asked whether the show and episode of Cheeky Palate in question remain on the schedule but MultiChoice chose not to give specific answers to these questions.

Sunday, February 4, 2018

MultiChoice adds Moja Love as a new DStv channel; packaged by Siyaya TV and targeting black female viewers it will launch on Valentines Day with new locally produced shows.


MultiChoice is adding a channel, Moja Love, targeting a black female viewership from 14 February to its satellite pay-TV platform on DStv channel 157.

"Moja" meaning good or alright, is packaged for MultiChoice by Siyaya TV that got a pay-TV licence from the broadcasting regulator, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) but failed to start it's own service, just like eSat that ended up producing eNCA for DStv.

Siyaya TV that secured exclusive soccer rights but resold it to the SABC, is now creating Moja Love that MultiChoice will make available to DStv Premium, DStv Compact Plus, DStv Compact and DStv Family subscribers from Valentines Day on 14 February.

The Sunday tabloid newspaper Sunday World first reported the launch of Moja Love. MultiChoice didn't respond to a media enquiry made about Moja Love on Sunday afternoon.

Moja Love will run 24-hours per day with repeat blocks and have 22 shows including several new local productions.

"For us at MultiChoice, it's important to offer our customers a range of different entertainment options and to provide a platform for local stories to be heard," says Yolisa Phahle, CEO for general entertainment at MultiChoice.

"Moja is a slang word that means 'everything is good' and while love is a universal emotion, Moja Love shall explore love from the unique perspective of the modern South African woman using honest, reflective, hopeful and humorous storytelling," says Jacqui Setai, Moja Love channel head.

New programmes on Moja Love include a new local weekday talk show, similar to The View in America as a panel discussion show with women talking about female issues. Show Me Love will have KG Moeketsi, Unathi Msengana, Abigail Visagie and Nontobeko Sibisi as part of the panel.

Show Me Love will be broadcast on Moja Love on weekdays at 17:00.

Phat Joe will be the presenter of Highly Inappropriate.

Bonang Matheba's former make-up artists Muzi Zuma will present a reality beauty show entitled Beat and a new telenovela Hope that will run Mondays to Wednesdays at 19:00 will star Nimrod Nkosi and Charmaine Mtinta.

Moja Love is also trying a sitcom in the form of Judge Khambule with Thenjuwe Mosley.

The investigative journalist Mzilikazi wa Afrika will be the presenter of a new show on Show Me Love entitled Sofa Slahlane.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Donovan Goliath steps in as replacement of Phat Joe as permanent new co-host on SABC1's The Real Goboza.


After a guest stint try-out the comedian Donovan Goliath has been roped in as the new permanent presenter of The Real Goboza on SABC1 after the sudden exit of Phat Joe.

Phat Joe (real name Majota Khambule) and the SABC first said his break from RGB would be temporary as he jumped to pay-TV to present M-Net's Take Me Out Mzansi dating game show on VUZU AMP (DStv 103). The show is the revived Take Me Out South Africa format show from Rapid Blue that used to be on SABC1.

The temporary break from SABC1's Saturday evening lifestyle and entertainment magazine show however became a permanent exit as the SABC and Phat Joe, who had presented RGB for 7 years, publicly announced a week and a half ago that the presenter is leaving by "mutual decision" and won't be back.

Donovan Goliath is now joining co-presenter Sinazo Yolwa on RGB after a stint on the short-lived TV guide show The 101 on M-Net.


"I'm really looking forward to bringing my own unique style and a new energy to the show. Aweh!," says Donovan Goliath in a statement.

"We're thrilled to We’re thrilled to officially welcome Donovan to the RGB family and we believe that he will use his talent to ensure RGB reaches new heights," says Sydney Mekgwe-Sitsila, producer of the Urban Brew Studios' show.

"I'm looking forward to seeing an already outstanding presenter continue to grow and develop."

Zandile Nkonyeni, SABC TV head publicist, says the public broadcaster is "excited to have Donovan joining the RGB and the SABC1 family. We are confident that he will elevate the show with his unique ability to connect with guests and resonate with viewers through his humour, insight and charisma".

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Phat Joe gone from SABC1's RGB as the out-of-cash SABC fires even more SABC Sport presenters to try and cut costs.


Phat Joe (real name Majota Khambule) is gone from the SABC show Real Goboza (RGB) after the shock jock presenter and the production company both decided they've had enough, with the beleaguered public broadcaster that has also fired several more SABC Sport presenters as its running out of cash.

After initially saying he would be back, Phat Joe, who has been absent from the show for a month, now won't return to SABC1's celebrity magazine lifestyle show RGB produced by Urban Brew Studios, which he presented for 7 years.

Unplanned and leaving RGB with no permanent replacement, Phat Joe becomes the latest marquee name to jettison the SABC that continues to lose iconic on-air talent across its TV channels and radio stations and who have been moving to other broadcasting opportunities - especially pay-TV - over the past year.

The SABC lost names ranging from Bonang MathebaPearl Thusi, Minnie Dlamini and Robert Marawa to Tbo Touch, Glen Lewis, Neville Pillay, Putco MafaniPierre van Pletzen and many more as the public broadcaster continues to bleed experienced on-air talent.

Earlier this month Phat Joe left his drive time show on East Coast Radio after just a year and racking up 77 complaints over inappropriate comments with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) with "mutual consent" - entertainment industry lingo for both the star and the platform who don't want each other anymore and agree to part ways.

Now Phat Joe won't be seen on RGB anymore after he became the presenter of Take Me Out Mzansi dating game show on VUZU AMP (DStv 103) - the revived Take Me Out South Africa format show from Rapid Blue that used to be on SABC1 and that was taken over by M-Net for one of its channels.

To further rub wounds into the SABC that doesn't like its talent to appear on other DStv TV channels, Phat Joe also just made an appearance as a guest judge on the latest 13th season of Idols on Mzansi Magic (DStv 161) this past Sunday, another M-Net packaged channel for DStv.

Similar to East Coast Radio, the parting between Phat Joe and RGB was "a mutual decision" - both have had enough, with Sinazo Yolwa who will hold the fort and comedian Donovan Goliath roped in as a guest presenter for the time being.

"Phat Joe has been a valuable member of the RGB family and an excellent driver on our journey of entertaining South Africans," says Sydney Mekgwe, RGB producer in a statement. "His professionalism, insight and engaging character kept our viewers glued to their screens. We wish him all the best."

SABC1 channel head Clara Nzima in statement says "SABC 1 prides itself as the aggregator of some of the most popular entertainment shows in the country and it is talent like Phat Joe that makes our content accessible to the viewers. Sadly our journey with him has come to an end."

Phat Joe in a statement says "Thank you to all the fans for the opportunity. I had a lot of fun! Most importantly thank you to the entire RGB team. I will see you all in the near future. Watch this space."


More SABC Sport presenters getting the boot
Meanwhile the SABC has fired more sports presenters, telling a further 8 SABC on-air talent that their services won't be needed anymore as the SABC continues to cull on-air talent.

After informing David Kekana, Lindani Mbense, Kwena Moabelo, Christopher Bongo and Cudjoe Amankwa last month that their services won't be needed anymore, the SABC is now also firing Soccer Laduma presenter Tshepo Mabona, Gloria Brown, Fabian McCarthyMarks Maponyane, Sylvester NdabaMike Mangena, Papi Khomane and Rabbie Moripe whose contracts won't be renewed for the new soccer season.

The SABC's now fired and famously matricless former chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng lied in 2016 and told SABC staffers that freelancers at the public broadcaster would be moved to permanent positions but that didn't happen.

Now as the SABC is once again on the brink of financial collapse similar to 2009 when it was saved through a government bail-out, the SABC is letting dedicated freelance talent go and not renewing contracts to cut costs.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Another SABC1 show jumps to pay-TV as a former SABC1 format show, Take Me Out SA, moves to VUZU AMP on DStv and is retitled Take Me Out Mzansi.


The SABC has lost yet another format show that used to be on the public broadcaster to pay-TV with Take Me Out South Africa that used to be on SABC1 that's getting retitled to Take Me Out Mzansi and jumping to VUZU AMP.

After facing financial trouble at the cash-strapped SABC in 2014 during its first season after sponsors jumped ship, the FremantleMedia/Thames format dating show is jumping to VUZU AMP (DStv 103) complete with presenter Phat Joe.

Take Me Out Mzansi, produced by Rapid Blue, will kick off on Monday 10 July at 19:00 in which an eligible dater picks, chooses and eliminates from a gaggle of potential suitors.

Where the first and sole SABC season focused on a single guy, the Mzansi Magic version is changing the format dating show, allowing for episodes with a line-up of both guys and girls in the parade of 30 wannabe lovers a contestant gets to pick from.

In Take Me Out Mzansi, a contestant is introduced to a panel of 30 men or women and tries to persuade them to keep their "lights" on. If some of the 30 are not impressed, they too can walk away by switching off their podium lights.

As the show continues, a date seeker has to continue to impress the remaining panelists.

"Take Me Out Mzansi has all the ingredients for a weekly dose of great viewing: humour, surprises, romance and unadulterated fun," says Sphumelele Sibeko, the head of reality for local entertainment channels at M-Net, that has picked up the show for a pay-TV audience. "Phat Joe tops off an already perfect mix, to make for brilliant television."

Friday, January 30, 2015

BREAKING. Bonang Matheba, Jeannie D, Phat Joe the judges of new Presenter Search on 3 on SABC3 as entries officially open.


Bonang Matheba, Jeannie D and Phat Joe will be the judges of the brand-new Presenter Search on 3 looking for three new TV presenters for Top Billing, Expresso and an as yet unannounced new magazine show on SABC3.

TV with Thinus broke the news about the new show and upcoming competition earlier this month, and now entries have officially opened looking to find new stars to follow in the footsteps of previous - and since very successful - winners Simba Mhere and Jonathan Boynton-Lee.

I can reveal that Presenter Search on 3 will start as its own, stand-alone new series on SABC3 and will debut on 6 March on the channel as 13 one hour episodes on Friday nights at 19:30, exactly halfway through the nationwide audition process which will then have been filmed by that time.

It will be the third season of the highly successful reality competition which previously saw thousands of people queue for a chance to on, and become a part of the lifestyle TV production machine.

The Presenter Search on 3, produced by Tswelopele Productions, will be looking for a glamorous presenter to jetset the world, interview celebrities and bedazzle while walking and talking through magnificent mansions on SABC3's flagship show Top Billing.

Then there's also space for an upbeat presenter who can cope with the stress of live morning television and still smile and exude confidence on Expresso, as well as a lifestyle TV presenter for a weekly recorded new magazine show which will start later this year on SABC3.

Contestants will face physical challenges, tests of improvisation and intelligence,all while having to keep an eye on the sun, their mic's battery levels, and oozing high levels of charisma while juggling multiple voices and remembering links exactly the way the director wants them.

Anyone over 18 can enter and over February and March the thousands of hopefuls will be whittled down to a top 12, then a top 10 as they live together and face the various easy looking, yet difficult TV world challenges.

Auditions kick off in Cape Town on 13 and 14 February, Port Elizabeth on 22 February, Durban on 28 February and 1 March and Johannesburg on 6, 7, and 8 March.

Contestants have to take a photo, complete the entry form and dress up to impress and prepare a short speech or link - something to say or introduce themselves or a story, as they would if they're a TV presenter. The judges are looking for creative and original presentations.

Audition dates
Cape Town 13, 14 Feb
Cape Town stadium - main entrance 9:00
callbacks: 16 Feb

Port Elizabeth 22 Feb
Nelson Mandela Bay stadium 9:00
callbacks: 23 Feb

Durban 28 Feb, 1 March
Venue to be announced 9:00
callbacks: 2 March

Johannesburg 6, 7, 8 March
Venue to be announced 9:00
callbacks: 11 March