Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Johan Lodewyk, the third last contestant in VIA's crowded house reality series Trap! Dis My Huis! dies from a chronic stomach ulcer. He was 37.


by Thinus Ferreira

The Bloemfontein contestant who ended up third last week in the just-concluded first season of the crammed house reality series, Trap! Dis My Huis! on VIA (DStv 147), Johan Lodewyk, has died at home. He was 37.

In a statement to TVwithThinus, Izelle Venter, VIA channel head says "It was a big shock to hear about the passing of Johan Lodewyk. He was one of the top-3 contestants in the reality show Trap! Dis My Huis!"

"We are grateful for the role he played in the programme and could see how compassionate he was. Our condolences go to his family and friends - we are thinking of them during this difficult time."

Netwerk24 first reported about Johan Lodewyk's passing. The salon owner of Salon Lodewyk died on Sunday afternoon at his home in Bloemfontein after paramedics failed to revive him after he spent the day sleeping on the couch.

On the TV show's Facebook group his sister Elmarie Rourke said that in order for speculation about the cause of his death to end that Johan had a chronic stomach ulcer and he started to bleed internally. "Please respect his family's feelings in this difficult time".

After his elimination in the final episode of Trap! Dis My Huis! last week as the third contestant and which left only two women and saw Marike Bouwer eventually win, Johan said he saw himself as "the last man standing". "I'm a winner in my heart because I was the last man".

Trap! Dis My Huis! was produced by Afrokaans.

The last thing he posted on Facebook was on Sunday afternoon - the YouTube video duet of Karen Zoid singing "Toe die Wereld Stil Gaan Staan" with Neil Sandilands.

On Facebook Marike Bouwer wrote: "My dear 1983 baby and friend! My heart is in pieces. You climbed so deep into my heart over the last 7 months. I will never forget you. Thanks for all your love, Rest in peace, angel."