Monday, February 11, 2013

BREAKING. Nate Berkus' surprising confession of his talk show on SABC3: 'I was enormously relieved when it was cancelled'.


Oprah protege, Nate Berkus of the cancelled The Nate Berkus Show still seen weekdays on SABC3 at 09:30 now admits that he was "enormously relieved" when his Sony Television produced talk show about home improvement was cancelled after just one season.

On Sunday Nate Berkus talked to Oprah Winfrey for an episode of Super Soul Sunday - another of Oprah Winfrey's weekly new talk shows in America on her Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) and revealed how he already knew that The Nate Berkus Show wasn't going to work two weeks into its development.

Oprah Winfrey said she told Nate Berkus that doing a talk show five days a week is extremely hard and difficult and that she thought that Nate Berkus should rather be doing it for fewer days a week or once a week, but that she didn't want to stand in his way because he was ambitious and that she could see that it was something which he really wanted.

Nate Berkus confessed to Oprah Winfrey that having a daily talk show and the stress and time demands that came with that made him extremely unhappy. He didn't feel that he had enough space and time to do what he wanted on The Nate Berkus Show because for the inserts when he appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show he had about six weeks to get everything right and time to change things if it didn't work out.


"I felt exhausted. I gained 20 pounds. I felt unhealthy. I felt there was no way I could do a good job," Nate Berkus told Oprah Winfrey of doing The Nate Berkus Show which was cancelled a year ago.

Oprah Winfrey told Nate Berkus that if he wanted to do a once-a-week TV show, he can come and do it on OWN.

"I have adored you since the first time you were on the show. We all felt that you had it. I remember having a conversation with you when you were leaning towards having your own show. What I was feeling was that you wanted to do this thing."

"I was trying to discourage you from going into five days a week. But I also knew you were in that space where you really wanted it. And you felt that you should and I felt that we've been behind you all the time," said Oprah Winfrey.


"I'm ambitious. I felt that that was an opportunity of a lifetime. And everybody around me told me that it was the opportunity of a lifetime. And the truth is it was. It was a massive opportunity of a lifetime," said Nate Berkus.

"But an almost impossible thing to do in the way you wanted to do it every day," said Oprah Winfrey.

"With the show every day I lost sight of what was important and what mattered to me because I was just on that schedule every day," said Nate Berkus.