Thursday, December 2, 2010

HOW LONG TO HOLD? ''How bizarre, how bizarre. Ooh baby, it's making me crazy.'' 17 minutes on hold is too long MultiChoice.


I called the MultiChoice switchboard today in Johannesburg at 011 289 2222 and was on hold for exactly 8 minutes before I gave up.

Then I called MultiChoice in Cape Town and was on hold for 4 minutes, just to be told I have to call Johannesburg. So I called the switchboard in Johannesburg again. I was on hold for 17 minutes, just to be told I'm at ''technical'' and actually needed to press 3, and can't be transfered back to the switchboard and will need to call again.

During my time on hold on a national call and wasting basically half an hour of my day, I listened to ''How bizarre, how bizarre, dum-dum-dum. Ooh baby. . . It's making me crazy. It's making me crazy. Every time I look around.''

That was interrupted twice by ''We apologize for the delay. You're call is in our automated queing system and will be answered as soon as possible.''

If 17 minutes and longer is what it takes to answer an ordinary customer call, at least MultiChoice is playing the right ''your call is on hold'' music. Happy holidays additional 363 000 DStv subscribers.