Friday, June 11, 2010

INTERVIEW. Burger le Roux: ''It feels like a dream that's come true.'' The Supersterre winner on how he thinks his life will change.

Photo: Dion Cuyler

You're reading it here first.

CARNIVAL CITY. - I can bring you the first interview with Supersterre winner Burger le Roux who just won the title in the third season finale of the hit SABC2 reality show.

In my interview immediately after Burger le Roux heard that he's the winner of this season of Supersterre which nets his a Sony Music contract worth R500 000 and R1000 in cash, he tells me how he thinks that his life will change. What scares him, and what was his other dream that also became true? Will he consider doing other things besides just music? And how did he feel just before his last performance in the final episode? I have it all covered.

Click on READ MORE below for my complete interview with Burger le Roux.




Photo: Dion Cuyler

Burger, congratulations. The first thing I want to ask you is how you felt in that moment when you're name was called as the winner of the third season of Supersterre?
Its a feeling of shock, black out and of just not being sure if I'm not actually dreaming. Its that feeling. I'll tell you that its something which I've been working for so many years. It feels like a dream that's come true.

Why did you decide to enter this third season of Supersterre?
Well, that's a whole other question that one! I did actually enter the previous two seasons of Supersterre as well and didn't get anywhere. The third time I entered and then I thought, wait a bit. I had a change of heart and didn't want to pursue it any further. I thought: That's it. Done. Then I sat and had a talk with my dad and I thought lets go. Lets go and enjoy it. Lets just go and see what I can do - and well, its the best decision I've made in my life so far!

Photo: Dion Cuyler

Now that you've won, how do you think your life will change?
My life at 20 . . . I think it will change my life in a dramatic way. I'm done with school, I'm done with studying. If I had to take part last year it would have interfered with my studies. Luckily this year its as if it was sent to me. I'm done with everything. I'm a free guy. Its going to impact my life. I don't just belong to myself anymore. I now belong to the world as well. My life will change in a good sense.

Is it something you're looking forward to - to be famous? To be a famous South African artist and music star?
Definitely. Singing is my life. I just never thought it would go this big. Where I come from [Robertson] . . .you - there's not the money to go this big. I'm so grateful for all of this.

Photo: Dion Cuyler

A message for other people who've now seen what you've accomplished and is also living in a small town in South Africa and is thinking that its not possible?
I thought I wasn't going to make it far. But what I can tell all of you is that I didn't believe it was possible. But it happened. In the same way I want everyone else to be inspired: don't give up on your singing. If you believe that you can sing, sing! Do it, live it. Don't be shy. Do it and it will happen. You will be discovered, you will be spotted even if it takes nine or ten years like it did for me.

Are you going to relocated to Johannesburg?
That is the big question. Yes, I have to consider it. I've already thought for so long about it. If I can I would prefer not to leave Robertson. Its a wonderful little town. Our people, our community truly love each other. I mean, we don't even have a traffic light. Its so peaceful. You don't have worries and stress. I'm very scared to move to Johannesburg. In Robertson you're safe. I'm very scared. I'll say that if I don't have to, I will try not to.

Besides just music, would you consider other opportunities as well, like soap roles or TV and film offers or presenting work?
I'm a qualified sound engineer and in music production. I have my own little business doing sound for people so that is what I considered doing when I'm not singing. I would always continue to do that, maybe on a smaller scale and I would like to explore other opportunities within the entertainment industry.

Photo: Dion Cuyler

How did you feel before you started your performance for the Supersterre finale? Did you have a different feeling that the previous episodes and performances? Is there something you said to yourself?
I knew that the previous two episodes before the Supersterre finale were good. I knew it would lift the amount of votes that I would get. But I was very scared of Giovanni Divito who was big competition for me. When I saw Marcha Lombard, I knew: Burger third, Giovanni second and Marcha first. That's what I said to myself, although I wanted to win. I made peace that I saw Marcha Lombard as the winner. I saw myself as being third and anything better than that as a bonus. I'm so incredibly grateful for everything.

Anything you want to say to your dad Gerrit and Mom Elna or any message?
I want to thank the Lord who helped me on this journey, my dad, my mom, Deon from Supersterre who gave me the inspiration during the last two episodes of Supersterre - without him I wouldn't have been able to show my true colours. And also my friends and family and absolutely all my supporters and fans. Every single person who supports me.

Photo: Dion Cuyler

Is there someone who's famous who you admire or like within the South African entertainment industry that you would like to meet?
My other dream came true which was to meet Steve Hofmeyr in person. Steve Hofmeyr is a living legend, I look up to him and I appreciate his music so much. I literally own every single CD of his. When I drive in the car that's all I listen to.

ALSO READ: Burger le Roux wins the third season of Supersterre on SABC2.
ALSO READ: Patricia Lewis on her health, Supersterre and a possible fourth season of her hit show.