Friday, June 11, 2010

INTERVIEW. Patricia Lewis: ''I feel better in myself.'' The superstar on her health, Supersterre and a possible fourth season for her hit reality show.

Photo: Dion Cuyler.

You're reading it here first.

CARNIVAL CITY. - The third season of the popular SABC2 reality show Supersterre just concluded with a spectacular season finale in which Burger le Roux (20) was announced as the winner and South Africa's latest singing star.

Of course Supersterre is hosted and produced by Patricia Lewis who sparkled in gold at the final episode. Just after the season finale I sat down with her to ask her about Supersterre. Will South Africa see a fourth season of the show? How is her health after last year's troubles? What will she be doing next? And what about this third season was different for her from the previous ones? I have the first interview with Patricia Lewis and her revealing answers after the conclusion of Supersterre right here.

Click on READ MORE below, for my full interview with Patricia Lewis.



Photo: Dion Cuyler.

Patricia, what do you think contributes to the continued success of Supersterre? Why do you think this reality show that's being produced by Patricia Lewis Entertainment continue to resonate with viewers?
I think Supersterre is such a success because it incorporates such a lot of elements in it. People loves to see the contestants, the established coaches in a different role and to see another side of them. Of course everyone loves reality shows. Everyone wants to be a singer. They see themselves in those finalists - ''if they can do it, I can also enter next time and I'm also going to do it!'' Obviously our panel of judges are also very entertaining. The set - its a glamorous show. The crowd, the fans, and Supersterre is a dream. Its a reality dream show.

Then why is it such a struggle to persuade broadcasters to pick up the show for another season?
Yes. Its been on SABC2 for all the seasons - Supersterre was first established as looking for a music star on Blonde Ambisie. The SABC has had a couple of financial problems. Supersterre does need their commissioning - to say make it - although Supersterre comes with a lot of its own sponsors as well, but its always down to the subject of coin . . .money.

Photo: Dion Cuyler.

And future seasons? Would you be up for a fourth season of Supersterre?
Of course! I would love to do at least another season of Supersterre. I really hope to do it and if the SABC is keen and game, yes, I'm there!

How difficult was it to get a whole lot of new judges and coaches for the show?
Look, because Supersterre is established now with more than 2 million viewers a week, the coaches and the artists want to do it because its good expose for them, they get more bookings, they sell more CDs, so thank goodness its easy to get coaches - and they're really very keen.

I want to ask you about your health. Did you take things slower after last year's health problems? Are you more conscious of not over working and over exhausting yourself, or are you still working too much?
You know, working so hard was the best, best thing ever for me. When I didn't do anything and I was trying to get Supersterre back on the air I think that is what actually helped my illness, I'm telling you! I got myself into such a state that I got myself sick. Now with the new season of Supersterre, the health problems became secondary. Yes, I'm still on my medications, I'm still getting ozone therapy and stuff but now because I'm not thinking about it so much and I'm working hard, and I have other things to focus on in my life - its a mental thing. I don't give it the time of day anymore. I just feel better in myself. The tumours are still there in my throat. I've now lost some weight and I think they lost some weight as well! [She laughs].

Well, you really look amazing. What's next for Patricia?
We're busy building a house in Ballito on the beach. We so enjoy living there. I will have a glass of champagne and we will hopefully have another season of Supersterre or a brand-new TV show which is a bit different - I have a lot of plans up my sleeve and ideas for TV shows.

Photo: Dion Cuyler.

Almost done, will viewers be able to see Supersterre as a DVD? What viewers at home don't know is that the studio audience to the finales get treated to special musical performances by lots of stars.
I think its a good idea because we now have three concerts from the various seasons of Supersterre - hot concerts with wonderful line-ups! We'll have to talk to the SABC because they own the rights.

More in general, Supersterre just created another new star. How many more local music artists can the South African industry absorb and keep producing with shows like this?
Mmm. Well, for as long as there's a market for it, we will continue - and probably continue forever. If the public wants it, we will carry on forever. And there's always new fans who love new stars. Afrikaans music is here to stay, its so established now.

Last question, what for you, was different in this third season of Supersterre compared to the previous ones?
It was much easier. The big thing that set this third season of Supersterre apart was that it was easily one of the easiest productions that I've ever done. Our commissioning editor at the SABC was fantastic. It was the third season so all the teething problems had already been dealth with and it was much easier. We knew what we were doing. Supersterre isn't an overseas format like an Idols where you just copy it - this is an original, so we struggled through it initially, figuring out what worked and what didn't on our own. Until we finally found a formulae that works.

ALSO READ: Burger le Roux wins the third season of Supersterre on SABC2.
ALSO READ: Patricia Lewis on her too revealing Supersterre dress: ''It was a mistake.''