Wednesday, December 2, 2009

BREAKING. SABC admits it was a ''challenging'' year, searching ''to find new ways'' to reach viewers.


You're reading it here first. The SABC hopes that some schedule changes on SABC1, SABC2 and SABC3 in 2010, as well as the World Cup Soccer tournament, and some cosmetic refreshment on several local TV shows will help the broadcaster's three TV channels to lure back some of the viewers and advertisers that it's lost in this difficult year.

''The easy days of 'appointment viewing' are over,'' says the SABC, and points to the global economic recession, but also ''increasing fragmentation of audiences, new platforms, new technologies, aternative ways to view television and digital terrestrial television (DTT)'' as things that's making it much harder for TV channels to retain and gain viewers.

''Africa's leading broadcaster needs to find new ways t reach its traditional audiences,'' says the SABC. ''More than ever audiences are informed about the broadcasting environment and it remains up to the SABC to stay one step ahead in terms of content that is relevant as well as cutting edge.''

SABC1, SABC2 and SABC3's channel head's gave their view, click through below on Read More to see what each one of them has to say about the past year and what lies ahead in 2010!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

BREAKING. First look - kyk net at the notorious billboard that has kykNET in a flat spin.


You're seeing it here first. This is how the billboard looks about which kykNET is on the verge of suing as per my story here earlier this morning. The Afrikaans satellite channel has already issued a letter to Teazers to take it down.

As I've reported earlier this morning, kykNET is upset about the use of the words ''kyk net'' - and the billboard is right around the corner from their offices. Can it really be co-incidence as Teazers claims?

Huge uproar today inside kykNET, lots of buzz and talk and gossip about this from inside the channel as well as elsewhere.

Bunnies for SABC3.


Starting on Saturday, one minute before the news on a Saturday for a year, on SABC3, viewers will start to see a new animation show called Bun & Bunee at 18:59.

Bun & Bunee is created by the animation studio Luma and will run for 52 weeks.

Remember when the news on the then TV1 (pre-1994) was preceded by ''We all stand together'' on several nights over several months because of viewer popularity, and even the similarly animated ''Bunberries'' music video?

Bun & Bunee might do the same in terms of breaking the broadcast schedule and echoeing in a transition from early primetime into the more serious evening scheduling.

BREAKING. SABC - party poopers for the press.


You're reading it here first. For the first year in YEARS the SABC will have NO YEAR-END PARTY FOR PRESS AND MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA.

Blame it on the radical austerity measures and across the board budget cuts mandated by the interim SABC board. The public broadcaster has already saved the broadcaster R65 million in expenditure.

The duty of organizing the press shindig at the end of the year, usually rotates between the three TV channels, SABC1, SABC2 and SABC3. A high level source within the SABC sitting on the 20th floor of Auckland Park just told me when I enquired:
''I doubt it. There won't be a party for the press. Blame it on the austerity measures.''

 I've been on a ship cruise to nowhere for 2 days in the past, been on a bus ride to seemingly nowhere for a whole day in the KZN Midlands (the toilets backwashed), a raft in the middle of the night in the middle of a river, on a train with drunk people from a certain TV channel who almost got us back to the airport late and MANY more surreal ''adventures''.

But there won't be an ''adventure'' this year. The SABC has to cut back , so no snacks and drinkies for journalists covering television and the entertainment industry this year.


M-Net's SuperSport is still having a year-end get together for the press. I'm going to that one this afternoon.

No more free DStv for SABC board members.


In the past SABC board members got the luxury of free DStv, so that they ''could see what television is out there''. No more.

Under Irene Charnley, interim chairperson of the temporary SABC board, that practice has now ceased. SABC board members no longer get DStv with the subscriptions for that being footed by the SABC.

Board members who want DStv has to pay for it themselves.

BREAKING. CNN live from Cape Town for 2010 FIFA World Cup Live Draw.


You're reading it here first. The cameras are already rolling as CNN International (DStv 401) is broadcasting live from Cape Town, overlooking Green Point Stadium in the run-up to the live dram taking place on Friday for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

CNN's chief sports correspondent, Pedro Pinto will lead live coverage of the draw on Friday on the channel, joined by the former Dutch football midfielder Ronald de Boer for live analysis, while South African international player Benni McCarthy will provide instant analysis from the London studio.

CNN International has a series of live reports every day this week, as well as a special, South Africa 2010 airing on Thursday 3 Dec (16:00 GMT), Saturday 5 Dec (17:30 GMT) and Sunday 6 Dec (12:00 GMT). The draw will also be covered live on Friday 4 Dec on the news channel from 16:00 (GMT).

BREAKING. kykNET sues strip club over 'kyk net'.


kykNET, the Afrikaans satellite channel is suing the strip club Teazers for using what is claims is the channel's ''trademark'' on billboards to advertise their services. They have until next Friday to remove it and change their billboards according to a lawyer's letter kykNET has sent to Teazers.

kykNET's lawyers says Teazers is busy with the ''unauthorised use of the mark'' of kykNET which is ''detrimental to the character and repute of kykNET's well-known name, and therefore amounts to trademark infringement".

kykNET is upset about Teazers using the words ''kyk net''.


I'm awaiting a response from kykNET.

BREAKING. New morning show for SABC3, shows for men, major overhaul and new sets for Isidingo!


You're reading it here first. SABC3 has lost the most advertising income of the three SABC TV channels -  no surprise them that the channel is in major overhaul for 2010 with major programming structural changes.

That includes SABC3 launching a BRAND NEW MORNING SHOW,
a new PROGRAMMING BLOCK AIMED AT MEN on Sundays,
and a MAJOR OVERHAUL for ISIDINGO, it's flagship soapie with ''more exciting storylines'' and revamped sets.
Of course 3Talk with Noeleen is getting revamped as well, adding interactive elements and a live studio audience.

All of these changes will happen in 2010 as the channel try to retain and regain market share in terms of viewership and ad revenue. SABC3 promises to launch what it calls ''fresher series'', and to remain the home ''of premium international dramas'' whilst continuing with shows ''that have proven successful''.

BREAKING. 3Talk with Noeleen to get a LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE!


You're reading it here first. In an attempt to reinvigorate the show and to boost sagging viewership for 3Talk with Noeleen, SABC3 with bring in a live studio audience for the talk show with Noeleen Maholwana Sangqu - the first time in the history of this talk show.

3Talk with Noeleen will add a live studio audience from next year.

3Talk with Noeleen will basically ''relaunch''. The ''new'' 3Talk with Noeleen will boast - besides the new studio audience, more video clips, a new set and greater interactivity with viewers.