Showing posts with label Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr?. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr?. Show all posts

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

kykNET on Millionaire cheating claims: Game show recording only paused to fix a typo.


by Thinus Ferreira

M-Net's Afrikaans TV channel kykNET says no cheating - just a spelling mistake that had to be fixed - took place during the recording of an episode of the Afrikaans version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? that was broadcast last week and which forced an abrupt halt in-studio when it was recorded.

According to in-studio guests who witnessed what happened when Wednesday night's episode was recorded a while back, the recording of the episode in the studio was abruptly stopped, with a producer who then interacted with a contestant to the disbelief of the in-studio audience - after which the episode continued and with the contestant giving the correct answer.

Christiaan Boonzaier of Fish Hoek who won the kykNET reality show Saktyd a decade ago was a contestant during this past Wednesday night's episode of the third season of Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? on kykNET (DStv 144), with the local version of the Sony Pictures Television format which is produced by Red Pepper Pictures.

In an architecture question at the R30 000 level, Boonzaier was asked who designed Kensington Palace, St Paul's Cathedral and Hampton Court in England, with Le Corbusier, Christopher Wren, Herbert Baker and Andrea Palladio as possible answers. 

Boonzaier used his 50/50 helpline to eliminate Herbert Baker and Andrea Palladio as possible answers. He then used another lifeline to ask host Rian van Heerden who said he had no idea and doesn't "have a cooking clue" about which one the correct answer is.

DStv subscribers saw Christiaan Boonzaier seamlessly choose Christopher Wren which turned out to be the correct answer. 

During the recording of the episode, there was however a break when the making of the episode paused. 

According to studio audience members, a "man who wore glasses" did well "up to about halfway and then got a very difficult question about architects he didn't know and the host didn't know".

According to them "he used his lifelines and then wanted to just guess, he decided on one answer, he spoke about why he was going to pick it and then producers just ran onto the set. They said they were going to cut".

"It wasn't an ad break, the host didn't say it's an ad break - they just cut. Then the producer pointed at his screen, spoke to him softly and said cameras will roll again. When it did, he suddenly decided to change his answer to his other option without explaining why and then the host said he got it right. It was weird and felt unfair".

An audience member said: "I thought the producers helped him because the contestant won some other kykNET show a long time ago and they didn't want to embarrass kykNET, but when we walked out, a lot of the audience was talking about it".

"People who sat on the contestant's side of the audience said they thought they heard he was given an R125 000 question by mistake instead of something like R25 000."

Lindi Lucouw of Red Pepper Pictures and executive producer of the third season of the game show, in response to a media query confirmed that filming of episode 10 of Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? "was paused due to a typo on the contestant's screen".

Lucouw stressed that "The contestant did not receive a new question nor any help from the producer that followed the correct protocol for such an incident."

"The question in question, which was Who was the architect that designed the St Paul's Cathedral and Hampton Court Palace?, wasn't wrong, however, there was a typo in one of the possible answers on the screen in front of the contestant."

"Instead of Christopher Wren, which was one of the answer options, it was put forward as Christoper (without an "h") Wren."

"Despite the typo, Rian pronounced 'Christopher' correctly. The typo was picked up by the team and the game was immediately paused in order for the producer to alert the contestant. The game continued and the contestant chose the right answer having used two of his lifelines."

"During the rest of the episode the contestant advanced to question 12 but stumbled and walked away with R50 000," Locouw said. 

"The handling of the matter was ratified by an independent auditor who was on set, while it was also approved by the international format holders."

Asked how many times this has happened before, Lucouw said that "a substitute question was not given in this instance and it has never happened in the 104 episodes recorded thus far of the kykNET version of Wie word ‘n Miljoenêr?. The auditors' reports can verify this".

The show also points out that the questions to contestants are automated by a computer and are set to the specific parameters of each monetary amount.

Suzaan Keyter, senior manager for publicity for premium channels at M-Net, added that "Incidents like this rarely happen but if it does occur the guidelines, as stipulated in the international format bible, is used to manage the situation and ensure that it is resolved in a fair way".

"Game show formats often make use of on-set auditors to ensure the rules of the game are followed. It is not uncommon for a game to be paused while filming."

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Phone a friend. SA is getting a 5th Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? season.


by Thinus Ferreira

You'll want to phone a friend: South Africa is getting a 5th season of the game show, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? that is being revived for at least one Afrikaans season on kykNET (DStv 144) although anyone can enter since contestants can simply point to the right one out of four possible answers in the multiple-choice quiz to try and win R1 million.

After 17 years, M-Net is warming up the once-hot international game show format now licensed by Sony Pictures Television, with Red Pepper Pictures that is taking over from Rapid Blue to produced an Afrikaans version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, entitled Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? for kykNET.

The South African version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? ran for four seasons between 1999 and 2005, first on M-Net and later jumping to SABC3, with Jeremy Maggs as the quiz host in the spotlight-and-dramatic-music filled studio. 

A possible Afrikaans version that was eventually planned and then scuppered is now finally going into production, similar to the single Afrikaans season of Idols that kykNET did in 2006. 

With brick-heavy cellphones and the Netscape-browser internet still in their infancy, potential Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? contestants had to use a Telkom landline (know what That is 2021-contestant?) to dial a number and answer enough questions correctly using tone-dialing push buttons to enter. 

Cue 2021 and people who want to enter Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? can do so on kykNET's website, with a second round of multiple choice test auditions that will be done over Zoom. 

Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? contestants will have to be in or willing to travel to Cape Town where Red Pepper Pictures will film the season. Potential contestants who must have a good general knowledge, must be a South African citizen, older than 18, and must be available for the recording of episodes during September and October.

It's not yet known who will be the Afrikaans Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? game show host but the Covid-19 pandemic and the country's adapted coronavirus safety protocols during filming of TV shows is bringing a potential new twist to the new South African season: The likely lack of an in-studio audience.

While Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? used to offer a contestant 4 different so-called "lifelines" during the course of their attempt to win R1 million by answering 15 questions correctly. Red Pepper Pictures and kykNET are definitely reducing the lifelines to just three - a strong indication that the "Ask the Audience" option is very likely falling away.

While "50/50" (removing two incorrect answers), and "Phone a Friend" (making a call to a pre-selected friend to ask if they know the right answer) will definitely remain, "Ask the Audience" (an audience poll) might very likely get swopped out in Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? - as has happened with several other versions of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? worldwide that went audience-less because of Covid-19.

"Ask the Audience" in Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? could be replaced by "Ask the Host", Switch the Question (a replacement question), or "Three Wise Men" (asking in-studio experts for their answer).

Entries for Wie Word 'n Miljoenêr? are open until 6 August.