Showing posts with label The Masked Singer SA. Show all posts
Showing posts with label The Masked Singer SA. Show all posts

Monday, July 1, 2024

Warren Masemola as Giraffe the winner of season 2 of The Masked Singer SA on SABC3.


by Thinus Ferreira

Giraffe won the second season of The Masked Singer South Africa on SABC3 on Saturday night when the Sama and Safta winning actor Warren Masemola took off the costume to reveal that it was home behind the long-necked mask.

Throughout the second season of The Masked Singer SA, produced by Rose and Oaks for Primedia Studios, Giraffe was the favourite frontrunner.

With as much on-stage charisma and acrobatics as the limited lanky costume allowed, Giraffe belted out singalong tune after tune to the delight of both the in-studio audience and viewers watching from home.

In the second season finalĂ©, Giraffe, Blue Crane, Owl and Gold all got a last chance in two sing-offs to perform for the detectives - J’Something, Sithelo Shozi, Somizi Mhlongo and Skhumba.

Up first in Saturday's episode were Blue Crane and Gold, with Gold who was unmasked as the gospel singer and medical practitioner Sbu Noah.

That was followed by a sing-off between Giraffe and Owl, with Owl who lost and was unmasked as actor Aubrey Poo.

In the final round between Giraffe and Blue Crane, Blue Cane had to remove her mask to reveal that it was the beautiful former Miss South Africa and author Shudufhadzo Musida.

Warren Masemola won the season 2 golden trophy with The Masked Singer SA that will see at least a third season as well since it was renewed for a second and third season in 2023. 






Thursday, October 12, 2023

Primedia revives SA's Got Talent for 9th season on SABC in 2024.


by Thinus Ferreira

After seven years off the air, SA's Got Talent is getting revived and is jumping back to the SABC in 2024.

As TVwithThinus reported last month Primedia now confirms that SA's Got Talent is getting a TV berth back on the South African public broadcaster where it ran for two seasons on SABC2 since 2009 before the Rapid Blue-produced show jumped to e.tv for another six seasons, ending in 2017.

The revived 9th season of SA's Got Talent will air on a SABC channel and will now be produced by Anele Mdoda's Rose and Oaks Media production company.

In late September Primedia, at its second PrimeX event held at Montecasino in Johannesburg, announced that it is bringing several retired international formats back to South African television, like SA's Got Talent, as well as Strictly Come Dancing SA which was on SABC3 and moved to M-Net as Dancing with the Stars SA.

Primedia is also reviving The Voice SA which was also on M-Net for a free-to-air audience. 

Primedia also said it plans to take M-Net's Idols which has run out of ratings steam on Mzansi Magic (DStv 161) currently in its 19th and final season there, to the SABC and a free-to-air audience.

The Masked Singer SA on SABC3, also produced by Rose and Oaks Media, has been renewed for a second and a third season, while the revived Deal or No Deal SA currently on SABC1 produced by Homebrew Films is also getting a second season.

It's not clear whether the new season of SA's Got Talent will be on SABC1 or SABC2 although it will very likely return to SABC2 as its former channel home, with the season that will have 14 episodes.

"In less than a year we've come further and achieved more than we ever dared hope - not least winning three major television format commissions from our country's largest broadcaster," says Jan du Plessis, Primedia Studios president, in a statement.

"All three shows have the power to bring joy and improve lives while showcasing African talent and culture with passion and authenticity".


Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Idols, The Voice SA, SA's Got Talent and Strictly revived for SA's free-to-air viewers, Masked Singer SA renewed for 2 more seasons.


by Thinus Ferreira

Strictly Come Dancing SA and SA's Got Talent are being revived for new free-to-air audiences, with The Masked Singer SA renewed for a further two seasons, Deal or No Deal SA getting a second season, while both The Voice SA and the long-running Idols that ran out of steam on pay-TV is getting free-to-air oxygen.

Like it did last September for the first time, Primedia on Monday held another of its so-called "PrimeX" events where it touted some format reality shows that its expanding Primedia Studios is planning to bring to South African television.

As part of its growing entertainment content slate of reality competition and shiny floor shows, Primedia Studios has renewed The Masked Singer SA on SABC3 for another two seasons, renewed Deal or No Deal SA for a second season, is reviving SA's Got Talent that was on e.tv, is reviving The Voice SA that was on M-Net for a free-to-air audience, and is also taking over Idols that was cancelled as a pay-TV show and bringing it to free-to-air viewers.

Similar to The Masked Singer SA and the revived Deal or No Deal SA that Primedia brought to SABC1 and SABC3 over the past year and announced in September last year, Primedia now plans to bring back and revilatise Strictly Come Dancing SA, SA's Got Talent, The Voice SA and also Idols that stalled on Mzansi Magic (DStv 161) and is in its final season on pay-TV.

Primedia only told some media about its PrimeX event held at Montecasino in Johannesburg with Primedia CEO Jonathan Procter and issued no press release on Monday after the event. 

According to insiders, while several shows were touted on stage, some of the contracts are not yet in place.

As part of the second PrimeX presentation, Anele Mdoda who produced The Masked Singer SA under her Rose and Oaks Media production banner, also did an interview on-stage with comedian Trevor Noah, while Deal or No Deal SA host Katlego Maboe also made an on-stage appearance.

Production company Rapid Blue did eight seasons of Strictly Come Dancing that aired on SABC2 and later SABC3 until 2015. In 2018 the format was revived and taken over by M-Net with Rapid Blue producing a single season for M-Net but rebranding it under the show's American moniker of Dancing with the Stars SA.

Now the show will return to free-to-air - very likely SABC3 - and again as Strictly Come Dancing as the British version is also known as.

After 18 seasons on M-Net, then on M-Net and Mzansi Magic jointly and then on Mzansi Magic, Idols will also move from pay-TV where the show got cancelled, to free-to-air - very likely SABC1 in order to give it the biggest potential new talent pool and TV audience. 

With massively declining audience ratings, on pay-TV, Idols that has run out of viewership steam, has barely reached 403 818 DStv subscribers who tuned in during August. 

In earlier seasons before a dramatic viewership decline set in that co-incided with judge Somizi Mhlongo who was engulfed in scandals, Idols brought close to and over a million viewers on Sunday evenings to DStv.

SA's Got Talent, also produced by Rapid Blue, saw eight very successful seasons  between 2009 and 2017 - the first two of which were on SABC2 after moving to e.tv from the third season onwards. It's likely that SA's Got Talent could now re-emerge on SABC2.

The Voice SA will also jump to cater to a new free-to-air audience after M-Net had the reality talent competition for three seasons between 2016 and 2019 and where Anele Mdoda served as host for the third and last season.

Thursday, September 1, 2022

South Africa's Primedia ties up rights to The Masked Singer SA with Anele Mdoda to produce for unnamed TV channel, plans to revive Deal or No Deal SA and take EWN visual with video news version.


by Thinus Ferreira

South Africa's Primedia primarily dabbling in radio has picked up the rights to The Masked Singer South Africa which will be produced by Anele Mdoda's Rose and Oaks Media for an as-yet-unnamed TV channel, potentially putting a spoke in the wheels of the SABC's SABC3 TV channel which has been trying and looking at producing a localised version of the singing competition show.

Primedia also plans to revive the game show Deal or No Deal South Africa which lasted for two seasons on M-Net (DStv 101) in 2007, together with a version for Southern African countries which was carried by MultiChoice for DStv subscribers outside of South Africa. 

At Primedia's Tuesday evening event, Anele Mdoda revealed that Primedia has secured the rights to The Masked Singer SA which Rose and Oaks Media will produce in at least three different South African languages.

SABC3 channel boss Pat van Heerden has been trying to get a local version of The Masked SA off the ground as the channel's big new local variety competition show with the channel which has been carrying the American version of The Masked Singer on its schedule.

It's unclear if SABC3 will be able to or has secured a deal with Primedia to broadcast The Masked Singer SA, or whether the show will go to another channel like e.tv, or one of the M-Net produced channels for MultiChoice's DStv.

Primedia also plans to launch video versions of its Eyewitness News (EWN) news bulletins - an English version done by the former eNCA anchors Jane Dutton and Shahan Ramkissoon now at the Eclipse PR company, and a Zulu version anchored by Kwazi Kwaza.