Showing posts with label Aldrin Sampear. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Aldrin Sampear. Show all posts

Tuesday, May 20, 2025

Hand-clasping Aldrin Sampear back on Newzroom Afrika after road rage altercation: 'I'm really, really, really sorry'


by Thinus Ferreira

Following a road rage incident in April that saw him get removed from Newzroom Afrika (DStv 405) while the South African TV news channel did an investigation, Aldrin Sampear on Monday returned to Newzroom Afrika and its AM Report strand, saying he's "really, really, really sorry".

Newzroom Afrika didn't release the findings of its investigation into Aldrin Sampear's road rage altercation.

The belligerent Aldrin Sampear was caught on video camera footage on 17 April in Randburg, Johannesburg, with the video footage of his road rage interaction with a 20-year-old Laricia Augusto which was widely shared on social media.

Laricia Augusto laid charges of assault against Aldrin Sampear, with Randburg police investigating the incident.

Five years ago, Aldrin Sampear admitted that he had assaulted women before when he was provoked.

"On 17 April I was involved in a traffic incident which resulted in a confrontation between myself as well as another driver," Aldrin Sampear told DStv subscribers on Monday morning.

"Having made time to reflect on these events, I want to take full responsibility for my actions. Although I did not assault the other driver, I believe that I should have been more composed and found a way to deescalate the situation and I fell short of the standards I hold myself to," Aldrin Sampear said while clasping his hands.

"For that I want to express my regret and sincere apologies to our viewers, my colleagues here at Newzroom Afrika and the management."

"I've worked really hard to make sense of this experience, and of course, my response, and I hope that through my actions from now on, to rebuild the trust and confidence placed in me as I continue on this journey."

"And to the babies out there as well, I want to say 'Uncle Aldrin is really, really, really sorry'. I'm really sorry. And I hope that you'll be able to forgive me," he said.



Friday, April 25, 2025

Newzroom Afrika removes Aldrin Sampear after alleged road rage assault


by Thinus Ferreira

The South African TV news channel Newzroom Afrika (DStv 405) has removed Aldrin Sampear after an alleged road rage assault.

The belligerent Aldrin Sampear was caught on video camera footage, shared widely on social media, in an alleged road rage incident that took place on Thursday, 17 April in Randburg, Johannesburg.


The 20-year-old Laricia Augusto was involved in a collision on Jan Smuts Avenue between the vehicle she was driving and the vehicle of Aldrin Sampear.

According to Laricia Augusto, Aldrin Sampear "practically glued himself to my bumper, hooting aggressively. I had no idea what his issue was, but to avoid any drama, I moved back into the left lane to let him pass. That’s when things turned nasty."

According to her, Aldrin Sampear then abruptly swerved in front of her car, after which both stopped and the incident caught on video followed.

Laricia Augusto laid charges. I her video she can he heard saying "Why are you hitting me?"

Aldrin Sampear told The Citizen newspaper that "I'm horrified to see an edited version of the video because I actually went to my car to go fetch my phone and license to share with the driver".

Aldrin Sampear said "At no point did I assault the driver. We have exchanged details. I have reported the matter to the police, and my legal team will deal with this factually and honestly."

Five years ago Aldrin Sampear admitted that he had assaulted women before when he was provoked.

In a statement that Newzroom Afrika only released on social media platforms, the TV news channel said "Newzroom Afrika is aware of an incident involving anchor Aldrin Sampear last week".

"Aldrin Sampear will take a break from his broadcast duties with immediate effect, pending an internal review of the matter. Newzroom Afrika takes the allegations very seriously and we will work swiftly to address the concerns raised."

Newzroom Afrika, through its PR agency Rapid Innovation Group, was asked on Friday why its statement about removing Aldrin Sampear and investigating the incident, was only shared on social media and why the press statement wasn't sent to media. 

The response will be added here when received from Rapid Innovation Group.

Saturday, January 19, 2019

BREAKING. Oppressive Zimbabwe government clamping down on press freedom amidst ongoing protests deports eNCA reporter Aldrin Sampear and cameraman Linge Ndabambi.

The oppressive Zimbabwe government clamping down on public protests, freedom of speech and news reporting in the struggling Southern African country has deported eNCA (DStv 403) reporter Aldrin Sampear and cameraman Linge Ndabambi.

The two South African journalists working for eMedia Investments' South African TV news channel carried on MultiChoice's DStv satellite pay-TV platform, were deported from Zimbabwe on Friday 18 January after going there to try and cover the unfolding public unrest in the country struggling with massive economic problems and socio-political unrest.

Aldrin Sampear and Linge Ndabambi were deported back to South Africa after they landed at the Robert Mugabe International airport.

Zimbabwe's shocking deportation of the South African press comes amidst ongoing reports of shocking violence from armed Zimbabwean security forces trying to quell protest action by the Zimbabwean public angry over runaway inflation, dramatic currency devaluations, and unaffordable petrol increases in a week that saw the government cut off access to the internet and social media.

In a statement, the Media Alliance of Zimbabwe (Maz), representing a group of different media outlets in the country, "The Media Alliance of Zimbabwe is appalled at the decision by the government of Zimbabwe to deport two South African journalists on the morning of  18 January 2019".

"The deportation of the foreign journalists comes on the backdrop of the second directive by the government to completely shut down the internet in response to widespread citizens' demonstrations, violent protests and a heavy-handed state response that has plunged the country into crisis."

"The deliberate and drastic actions that the Zimbabwe government is taking to ensure a total information blackout are fuelling the obtaining crisis in the country."

"Maz, therefore, reiterates its calls for the government to respect citizens' constitutionally-guaranteed rights to free expression, access to information and to media freedom."

"Zimbabwe is a democratic and open society. It is prudent that government realises that barring foreign media or blocking the internet only serves to further isolate the country and will scuttle any plans to re-engage with the world," Maz said.

In November 2017 Zimbabwe barred and deported a news crew from SABC News (DStv 404) from entering the country, including the SABC's foreign editor Sophie Mokoena, reporter Noma Bolabi and others.


ALSO READ: Now pay from SA in rand, says MultiChoice Zimbabwe, operating with 'limited capacity' as Zimbabwe's untenable political, social, economic and foreign currency crisis escalates.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Faith Daniels and Aldrin Sampear join eNCA as national assignments editor and reporter.


eNCA (DStv 403) is adding to its staffer ranks with Faith Daniels and Aldrin Sampear joining the South African TV news channel.

Faith Daniels will join eNCA from June as national assignments editor, while Adrin Sampear joins eNCA as a reporter.

Faith Daniels joined Kagiso Media two and a half years ago in January 2016 as head of news for its Jacaranda FM and East Coast Radio radio stations.

Aldrin Sampear joins eNCA from the South African public broadcaster's SABC News division.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

SABC News anchors Peter Ndoro and Francis Herd moved to 9pm on SABC3 as news bulletin is late-shifted; Chriselda Lewis and Aldrin Sampear now anchoring weekends.


With the SABC moving its flagship English language TV news bulletin from 18:00 to 21:00 on SABC3, it has forced the News @ 6 co-anchors Peter Ndoro and Francis Herd to move to the new later timeslot as well.

On weekends the accomplished and proven Chriselda Lewis (pictured) is now being paired with Aldrin Sampear and the two will now co-anchoring the news at 21:00 on SABC3 and SABC News (DStv 404).

It's the latest that the SABC has ever scheduled a full TV news bulletin on the public broadcaster, with ratings that will likely go down further as the late-night appetite from viewers for news shrinks this late during the day.

SABC3 is also starting a new current affairs show, Frankly Speaking on Sundays at 20:30 from 11 February as an interactive show using Skype and social media to hear from participants watching it.

Onkgopotse JJ Tabane is the presenter of Frankly Speaking and will look at news and current affairs issues.