Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Adjoa Andoh criticises Netflix's Bridgerton for Shondaland's failure to properly light black actors: 'Nothing's changed'.


by Thinus Ferreira

Actress Adjoa Andoh (61) who portrays Lady Danbury in the Netflix drama series Bridgerton is criticising the Shonda Rhimes show for what she calls its failure to properly light black actors, saying "nothing's changed".

"I just want to come on and be Lady Danbury and do what she's got to do and be totally engaged with that," the actress told the Stirring It Up podcast with Andi and Miquita Oliver about the Shondaland-produced series filmed in the United Kingdom.

"The continuing conversation about lighting black skin - on every show. Nothing's changed," she remarked.

According to Adjoa Andoh, she "will now go: 'Am I blond?'" when she notices that lighting choices on set should be better.

"But I hate doing it, because a bit of me is like 'Oh, I don't want to do this, I don't want to make a fuss."

"When people say we're chippy or we're being militant or we're all that stuff, what I want to say is, 'I'm just a human being and I just want to do the gift that I'm blessed with. I want to do it in a free way like I see many other people doing."

Netflix brought Adjoa Andoh to South Africa in May to promote the third season of Bridgerton on the video streaming service where she appeared at a Bridgerton Tour event in Johannesburg that was was widely criticised by fans.