Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Shaleen Surtie Richards: I Am Who I Am documentary scheduled for Wednesday night on M-Net as MultiChoice's TV tribute collection of content expands after iconic actress' death - latest programming listing across channels.


by Thinus Ferreira

MultiChoice, M-Net and kykNET are expanding the tribute collection of content this week scheduled to honour the on-screen legacy of actress Shaleen Surtie-Richards (66) who unexpectedly died on Monday, with the documentary Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am that will be shown on several TV channels, a Carte Blanche insert, as well as a newly-added Saturday morning retrospective about her life on Ontbytsake.

Initially announced, her iconic film Fiela se Kind will no longer be shown this weekend, replaced with one of her latest films, Swirl that will be broadcast on fliekNET (DStv 149) on Sunday at 20:30.

South Africa's TV and film industry was shocked yesterday about the passing of the iconic actress who died in her sleep in a guest house in Edgemeade, Cape Town where she stayed while filming scenes for a recurring role on the Penguin Films produced telenovela Arendsvlei on kykNET & Kie (DStv 145).

MultiChoice will broadcast a never-before-seen documentary Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am on M-Net (DStv 101) on Wednesday 9 June at 19:30.

Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am on M-will again be shown - and simulcast - on kykNET (DStv 144) and kykNET & Kie (DStv 145) on Sunday 13 June at 20:00. 

Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am will become available on MultiChoice's video streaming service Showmax on Thursday 10 June 2021.


"The documentary was commissioned to celebrate a South African icon and was in its final stages of post-production when the news of her passing was announced," says Diana Lucas, director and executive producer of the film.

"It was an honour for the team to pay tribute and spend time with Shaleen in the making of this film. Her incredible story is historically significant for the people of South Africa."

Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am revisits Shaleen's life from her childhood in Upington and her first baby steps on the Upington school stage to far grander stages and greater audiences.

Marc Lottering, Sandra Prinsloo, Pieter-Dirk Uys, Brümilda van Rensburg, Katinka Heyns, Patricia de Lille, Bobby Heaney, Kevin Smith and others share their memories and stories of a woman who lived her life in defiance of stereotypes.

"I don’t have time for pretence in my life. So, if you ask me who am I. Then, I will tell you, I am who am," says Shaleen Surtie-Richards in the film.

Shaleen Surtie-Richards was also recently interviewed by fellow Egoli: Place of Gold co-star Hannes van Wyk for a special Kwêla: Hannes aan Huis episode which will be broadcast on Tuesday 8 June 2021 at 21:00 on kykNET (DStv 144).

On kykNET & Kie (DStv 145), the team of KLOP! will be paying tribute to the legendary icon with friends and colleagues such as South African actors Christo Davids, Zenobia Kloppers and her Arendsvlei co-stars. The kykNET telenovela Arendsvlei was the last production Shaleen Surtie-Richards worked on.

Here's the latest adjusted and updated Shaleen Surtie-Richards tribute programming for this week:

Tuesday 8 June
21:00 Hannes aan Huis kykNET (DStv 144)
 
Wednesday 9 June
19:30 Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am M-Net (DStv 101)
20:30 KLOP! kykNET & Kie (DStv 145)
 
Thursday 10 June
Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am will be available on Showmax
 
Saturday 12 June
Ontbytsake, kykNET and kykNET & Kie (DStv 144, DStv 145)
 
Sunday 13 June
19:00 Carte Blanche M-Net (DStv 101)
20:00 Shaleen Surtie-Richards: I Am Who I Am on kykNET (DStv 144) and kykNET & Kie (DStv 145)
20:30 Swirl fliekNET (DStv 149)