Friday, April 8, 2011

Rivals in Romance presenter Jonaid Carrera on his nipple rings and why (although he wants one) he doesn't have a penis ring ... yet.


The show is not about him as Rivals in Romance presenter, it's more about the girls looking for love with one of two bachelors in the utterly addictive and must-see-to-be-believed local reality show on Fridays at 19:30 on M-Net Series (DStv 110). But how can you not wonder about the man's nipple rings he shows off so proudly. So (sigh) I went there with Rivals in Romance presenter Jonaid Carrera to ask about all that metal in his nipply bits.

''The first nipple ring I got was because a girlfriend of mine liked it,'' Jonaid Carrera tells me. ''She convinced me to get one. That was in 2002. The other one I got in 2007. The pain was so intense with the first one that I waited about 5 years to get the other one.''

''My nipple rings will never come out,'' he says. ''They're a constant reminder of what I went through to get them.''

So are those the only body piercings he have?
The affable reality show host who probably has the best physique of any TV presenter currently on the box, is adamant that his nipple rings are the only metal in his body that might set off the metal detectors at the airport. Although - yes - he would still like to put a little ring as well through his whatismacallit.

''I don't have a penis ring. I wish. But unfortunately they don't have rings small enough,'' says Jonaid Carrera. ''So as soon as they make a ring small enough, I can get one.'' About his nipply things he says its like an ear ring. ''Just don't get it hooked on anything - it will hurt like hell. Otherwise you're good to go.''

About his workout regimen in general he says it's all about healthy living. ''Obviously you have to practice what you preach. I preach good living. I'm a vegetarian. My goal isn't to be a muscle man but I get my proteien from other things. I exercise and eat well, it helps me to stay lean. To get me to look the way I look now, I probably trained for about a year. Now I'm in the gym to maintain it. It's about balance. It's not about a proteien diet and being in the gym the whole time,'' he says. ''It's about doing everything in balance.''

About Rivals in Romance that's entering the end phase as the first season is drawing to a close with intensely emotional episodes, he says it's a game.

''The guys are getting emotional as it gets towards the end. I have to hold myself back emotionally whether I think the girls are right for the guys or not.''

''The last thing we need is an emotional presenter. For me its very Survivor. Sorry...the tribe has voted you out, goodbye.'' About his role as Rivals in Romance presenter Jonaid Carrera says he's ''funny, a bit quirky, and hopefully I make people feel comfortable. That's my job.''