Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Janez Vermeiren on his man whiskers: ''I've never been the clean cut type, I prefer to take myself a little less seriously.''

Top Billing/SABC3

You're reading it here first.

If you're wondering about the stubblier side of the Top Billing presenter Janez Vermeiren on SABC3, well, wonder no more.

While the usually suavely sleek Janez Vermeiren's been proudly showing the testosterone with a very neat man pelt the past while, he hasn't really talked about his man whiskers - an impressive bit of facial hair that's given TV audiences a glimpse of a hairier side of the presenter. The popular face in the glamorous SABC3 entertainment magazine show as well as the travel magazine show Top Travel has been showing some ''growth'' that has viewers wondering about his follicle friendly look.

''It's not really a beard, just heavy shadow,'' says Janez Vermeiren about the furrier version of himself that viewers' been seeing. So, is the brother planning on turning into a bearded barbarian?

''Not nearly a full barbarian,'' says Janez Vermeiren about his stubble, but adds: ''I might give one a go if I have an extended holiday some time. I usually grow my facial hair when I do travel inserts with Top Billing,'' he says. ''I feel it goes with the territory. Whenever I'm back at home and do more formal interviews I try and neaten myself up a little. I have never been the clean cut type, I prefer to take myself a little less seriously. A suit with sneakers and a some facial hair is more my vibe that the traditional corporate look.''

Another little shaving secret? Janez Vermeiren's son likes his dad to look a little bit dirty and scruffy-faced. ''My son hates it when I totally clean shave, although when I do modelling jobs I often haul out the Gillette razor. I usually use a beard trimmer when I'm travelling, it's so easy and keeps it all at one length, which can also look quite neat.''


While viewers still saw Janez Vermeiren with man whiskers last week he says he's freshly clean shaven ''So its going to take a while before I get my caveman back!'' he laughs. ''Hopefully Top Billing takes me on a really long trip and I can show you guys a much thicker, hairier side of me!'' And any complaints, reprimants or Mister Vermeiren told to trim the five o'clock shadow by the TV production? ''Top Billing's not yet complained so lets see how far I can push them,'' he jokes with a laugh.

And Janez Vermeiren's advice for beard wannabe's or any tips for beard brothers? ''Only grow your beard if you have the facial hair to back it up. There's nothing worse than a patchy look. Enjoy and when it gets too itchy take it off,'' he says.