Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm told by readers that - oops! - MultiChoice is saying I broke some embargo regarding M-Net's ''announcement'' about all of the stuff happening with M-Net's channels from April and of being ''unethical''?

Here's the facts: I was invited by M-Net to an event that took place yesterday. I RSVP'ed to attend. I went yesterday. Beforehand no mentioned was made that the press briefing will be embargoed or that press can't write about anything. Media will anyway not show up to a press event if they know they're going to be asked to an event and once there, be told not to write stuff. 

Nobody signed any ''embargo'', no press agreed to anything or to hold off on anything during the lunchtime presentation. Lani Lombard, M-Net's communications manager only said no specifics will be available until a press release is issued today. I expressly asked in the briefing what can I write about. Here is the exact answer as I transcribed it from my recording:

''We will issue all our press releases tomorrow [Thursday] and then give you much more detail. But whatever I share with you today you can obviously share, but we will give you all the schedules and that tomorrow. You can write what I give you here, but you won't be able to get specific programming content.''

Wow. Instead of being flattered that as a journalist, having covered TV for over a decade I'm still everyday really, truly interested in this remarkable medium and want to serve ordinary viewers who don't get answers, who often don't have a voice, and don't get as much respect as they deserve, I'm perceived by some as an irritation and sometimes discredited. One independent journalist who likes writing about television, versus big TV channels and production companies. (And I'm not framing myself as a victim, I'll continue to do what I do, I love journalism and I know what comes with the territory.) What other journalist will even write as much about one two hour lunch press briefing as I have yesterday and today to give every angle, everything of value and trying to be as comprehensive as possible? Just to be called ''unethical''. Oh the joy of covering the wonderful world of television.

It's sad that South Africa doesn't have daily trade and consumer publications like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter and Broadcasting&Cable with many journalists and TV critics just covering television, that can give readers really insightful opinion and analysis; good critiques of shows; great scoops and solid reporting about what's on television and happening behind it. As one person; as one journalist I try my best.

My job as a journalist - who happen to cover television - is to report as accurately as possibly, what I'm told. I have to judge that, and the sources, and their credibility, and then report that news. I try to be first, I try to be good, I try to understand,  and I will always take the viewer's side.
Because at heart I'm one myself.