Tuesday, November 23, 2010

BREAKING. MultiChoice delights with a great new gadget for true mobile television in South Africa: say hello to the Drifta decoder.



Well, well, well. I'm wonderfully impressed (and I really mean it). So it seems that the South African TV industry does still have secrets. Awesome secrets that it can keep and keep very well - ones that even I don't know about.

Like a secret episode of Oprah's Favourite Things, MultiChoice and DStv Mobile kept it's new mobile television decoder super hush hush. Just like Apple with the iPod and then the iPad; but just with television. Not a single person blabbed, not one source told me anything, I never heard the word before a few hours ago when I read it in a press release and it's all just really . . . remarkable! (Or maybe I'm just getting old and slipping.)

DStv Mobile can be accessed on a DVB-H enabled cellphone or via MultiChoice’s newly introduced mobile TV decoder, the Drifta.

Announcing its new true mobile television service in South Africa for DVB-H enabled cellphones, DStv Mobile stunned (since I thought I knew everything about today's announcement which I already spilled last week RIGHT HERE) with the little bit of big news: a mobile TV decoder called Drifta. Here's everything about the Drifta that I know for now, more information about it hopefully tomorrow.

The Drifta will be sold at all major retailers from 1 December and it will cost R599. You'll be able to activate the Drifta through the MultiChoice call centre or the DStv Mobile website. The Drifta is a separate device (not even I know how it looks yet - crazy!) that receives the DStv Mobile broadcast signal and relays it over WiFi to a range of WiFi-capable laptops, PC's, tablets and smartphones.

That means that you'll be able to watch Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding on 29 April 2011 on the eNews Channel right on your iPod, iPad, iPhone, laptop or whatever next year! (The Drifta supports Windows and iOS devices such as the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, while Blackberry OS, Symbian 3 and Android applications are in development.)

ALSO READ: Where does the name come from? Where is it made? All you want to know about DStv Mobile's new Drifta decoder.