Wednesday, August 18, 2010

BREAKING. Kee-Leen Irvine, close friend and super producer reacts to Fiona Coyne's tragic death: ''I still can't absorb that Fi is gone.''




After the sudden, tragic and untimely death of Fiona Coyne who's body was discovered this morning by her domestic worker in her Fish Hoek home I have reaction from the shocked and devastated South Africa television community.

''Fi was a really close friend. In fact I spoke to her just yesterday afternoon for the longest time on the phone and the day before that and the day before that,'' super producer Kee-Leen Irvine of production house Rapid Blue, managing director and executive producer of TV shows such as SA's Got Talent (SABC2), So You Think You Can Dance (SABC1) and Strictly Come Dancing (SABC2) told me.

''I still can't absorb that my Fi is gone,'' says the distraught Kee-Leen Irvine about her close friend. ''I don't know what to say. How does one capture such an incredible human spirit in just a few words? I feel like someone has blasted a shotgun through my world.''

Duncan Irvine, the executive producer and CEO of Rapid Blue that produced The Weakest Link for SABC3 tells me that Fiona Coyne ''will be deeply missed''. Duncan Irvine worked closely with Fiona Coyne on the quiz show. ''Fiona became a very good friend,'' he says.

''She might be better known as The Weakest Link presenter which required a strong performer - also an incredibly smart one which she was. But Fiona Coyne was an incredible writer too. Her plays won awards and travelled the world. She hosted five seasons of The Weakest Link, one of the longest running series and it was often the highest rated entertainment show on SABC3. She had a fantastic sense of humour and we always laughed when we were together. She will be desperately missed.''

Since early this morning I have asked SABC3 repeatedly for any comment or statement on Fiona Coyne's passing. SABC3 has still not responded. The latest (17:20): SABC3 just told me that the broadcaster will only respond with a press release in regard to Fiona Coyne on Thursday.