Friday, June 11, 2010

BREAKING. Oprah Winfrey won't be attending the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.


You're reading it here first.

Oprah Winfrey will not be attending the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

The past few days I have been around several SABC execs and other industry types doing cocktails and casually throwing Oprah Winfrey's name around as one of the celebrity guests who will probably be ''popping by this studio'', ''doing that interview'', ''be here for the World Cup'' and ''attending this or that function''.

I can tell you that all the dinner party gossip, cocktail tete-a-tete talk and high-flyers trying to show off are just that: talk. I've asked and Harpo tells me that Oprah Winfrey will definitely NOT be in South Africa and that the queen of talk has no current plans to attend the 2010 FIFA World Cup that kicks off today in the country. Anyone saying so are spreading false rumours. ''She has no plans to attend,'' Harpo tells me.