Sunday, March 21, 2010

BREAKING. Today's BBC Sport Relief Mile in Cape Town on BBC Entertainment this evening.


You're seeing it here first.

Here's Alan Shearer, ex-England and Newcastle United football captain and TV presenter Tammy-Anne Fortuin at this morning's BBC Sport Relief Mile charity racing event in Cape Town. Viewers will be able to see some of it this evening at 19:30 on BBC Entertainment (DStv 120) since Cape Town will be forming part of this British initiative for the first time with Londen. More than 3 500 people in Cape Town took part in this morning's race.

Created in 2002, Sport Relief is an event that brings together the worlds of sport and entertainment to raise money for the poor and vulnerable across the globe.

''I've been involved with it for a few years now. I've seen the tremendous work that it does,'' Alan Shearer told me this morning.  ''I'm so exceptionally proud of it,'' Tammy-Anne Fortuin told me.

Click on READ MORE below to see more of my photos of this morning, and to read more of what both Alan Shearer and Tammy-Anne-Fortuin told me.





I spoke to Alan Shearer and asked him why he's supporting Sport Relief.
''Because I've been involved with it for a few years now. I've seen the tremendous work that it does. Ive been to Kenia and Uganda and now in South Africa. I've see first hand and have been to the places where Sport Relief helps and it's a fantastic charity and without it many many people would have nothing. I've seen it give people something.

First time in Cape Town?
''I've been here before. I've had one night here, which is obviously not enough. I'm going home again tonight unfortunately but I'll be here for five weeks in June for the Soccer World Cup so I'll be able to see a lot more of it then.''



How do you feel and what's your impression of the first BBC Sport Relief in Cape Town?
''I think it's been a huge success. With everyone partaking – thousands of people took part – they all enjoyed it, they all have smiles on their faces and hopefully we're raised many many millions to give to Child Welfare South Africa.''



I also spoke to Tammy-Anne Fortuin about the Sport Relief initiative.
How do you feel about the event?
''I'm so excpetionally proud of it. I think it's a long time coming and I don't know why we didn't do it sooner. It was really heartwarming to see so many locals. We had kids running without shoes, we had families, we had babies, we had dogs. I'm very impressed. I'v very proud.I'm very happy to be a part of it.''



Why did you decide to support it?
''These people do amazing work, Child Welfare South Africa is going to be the beneficiary and they target about 2 million children in South Africa and they make a real difference in their lives. So it’s a tangible result and you see it And it’s the BBC so you know its going to reach a lot of people. I didn't even think twice.''

BBC Sport Relief, today (Sunday 21 March), BBC Entertainment, 19:30