Friday, May 17, 2019

Many DStv subscribers say they're cancelling their pay-TV subscriptions with MultiChoice after SuperSport fires veteran presenter Robert Marawa.


Furious DStv subscribers are saying they are and will be cancelling their pay-TV subscriptions with MultiChoice after SuperSport abruptly fired the veteran presenter Robert Marawa (46).

SuperSport terminated Robert Marawa's on-air job as the face of Thursday Night Live with Marawa on SuperSport 4 (DStv 204) with co-host Thato Moeng who anchored the show on her own and repeatedly kept saying it's "the last show" with no explanation of Robert Marawa's disappearance.

SuperSport said that getting rid of Robert Marawa is part of a refresh of its local presenters' line-up and said in a statement that "this restructure includes us not pursuing our contractual relationship with Robert Marawa".

Robert Marawa alleged that he was fired due to allegations of sexual harassment within SuperSport ranks that he spoke up about. SuperSport didn't respond to a media enquiry seeking comment about these allegations.

Many DStv subscribers and SuperSport viewers have been reacting in anger, saying on social media that they have, are and will be cancelling their DStv subscriptions.

Tokologo Matlala said "SuperSport, the only reason I kept paying your ridiculously high subscription was because of sport. And for me Robert Marawa is synonymous with sport! Mind you not just football for me. You lose Robert Marawa, then you lose me as a subscriber!"

Linda Kwenamore said "Im canceling my DStv subscription if Robert Marawa has been dismissed by SuperSport. I will also do like those Afrikaners and smash it!"

Letsebogo said "Not having Robert Marawa on Thursday Night Live on SuperSport is like having the MTN8 without Kaizer Chiefs - it doesn't make sense. Officially terminating my subscription with DStv end of the month. I will reverse the debit order".

Eddie Kuntha said "I'm prepared to drive over my decoder and cancel my subscription of MultiChoice's DStv in solidarity with Robert Marawa. SUperSport is not going to be the same again".