Friday, May 10, 2019

INTERVIEW. Lee Thompson of M-Net's The Bachelor SA speaks after the final rose: 'I'm sure love will find its way to me'.


The first season of The Bachelor South Africa on M-Net (DStv 101) ended on Thursday night with the bachelor in the show, Lee Thompson, choosing Gina Myers over Jozaan Dique, and although the relationship didn't work out, a hopeful Lee in an interview on Thursday told TVwithThinus that "I'm sure love will find its way to me".


How was the experience of doing The Bachelor South Africa?
Lee: Like I said at the beginning I was willing to be more vulnerable and more than what I've ever been. And regardless of what happened, I was willing to do that. I think once you put your willingness to open up and commit and be open to something like love in particular, that's when you're able to fully reap the benefits of that. I've learnt a lot about myself, emotionally and mentally.


Looking back in hindsight would you do it again?
Lee: Yes, absolutely. It's been one of the greatest experiences I've had in my life and I've learned so much. I would definitely do it again. A lot of people think that it's not possible to find love in such a short span but it definitely is.


A show like The Bachelor SA has happy moments but also painful parts. Did the sad parts outweigh the rest? How do you see it?
Lee: So it has its ups and downs. I use the term "an emotional rollercoaster". The great times were the beautiful people that I've got to meet - beautiful women from all diverse parts of South Africa, that was great.

The emotionally challenging parts were the rose ceremonies and having to let people go who I've developed emotions and bonds with - that was tough. And just the mental pressure and strain in terms of the decisions that you have to make - that did keep me up a few nights. I wanted to make the right decisions.

The great things were that you grow from this and become stronger. And I made so many friends through this. So those are the pro's.


And how did you prepare and how did you feel having to sit there during the Women Tell All part?
Lee: I was calmer than what I thought I would be. I wasn't sure who would be asking what questions. I wasn't prepped. They just wanted to tie up loose ends and have answers to certain questions and my goal was to answer everything honestly. So that's what my main intention was and I hope that came through.

Sitting there I was a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect but the important thing is just to be real and authentic and answer everything honestly. I think I did that.


And then after everything was done and said and recorded on Mauritius and you went home, how did you feel afterwards?
Lee: I was emotionally and mentally very confused afterwards to be honest because there was a constant fight in my head about who to offer a rose, who not to offer a rose. So ja, it definitely hit me afterwards. But as I've said, I grew from that.


What is next for you in the short term and looking long term?
Lee: Short term I'm looking to start a family - or that's long term. Short term - find the right person with whom to spend my life with that will lead to that bigger picture. And also build on my career.

I want to solidify myself in my businesses to be able to generate enough money to support the family that I want and just to be able to give them what they want and what I want as well.


How did television and the show change your life? Do you sort of think like the show made you more guarded? You said at the beginning you were willing to be more vulnerable. Has the show made you more guarded or how do you feel?
Lee: This show has definitely been a positive experience for me. It's put me under the spotlight quite a bit and I view it as a positive.

People have really responded so well to the show and me which has been very, very exciting to see. Being on TV has actually made me flip over to the other side and being more open and more vulnerable as I said earlier.

It also made me not think too much about things as you can see in the show I've laid it all on the line and everyone knows a lot more about my life. So with the world and the whole of South Africa knowing a lot more about me has put me at ease in terms of the social environment. And I just go with it.

A lot of people come up to me that I don't know and they want to take a picture - and I love that! I feed off that. I feed off the energy to see how happy and excited they are. That part is really, really rewarding for me.


Would you consider a career in TV or TV work, and if so, what would you like to do or are you interested in?
Lee: Yeah, I definitely enjoyed this experience of TV and being a part of the TV world and I definitely would like to continue.

I don't know exactly what the future has planned but I can see myself presenting and acting and even hosting something. I'm just not sure what it would be yet.


How long do you think it might be before you might date again? And might you be more circumspect from the outset or is there something that you will look out for now from the beginning that you maybe didn't before?
Lee: Well, I think I'm more in tune with my emotions and feelings and what I want you know, and just, I'm not going to rush into anything and I'm not going to go particularly out to find love.

I'm just going to focus on doing my thing and building myself and my career and I'm sure love will find its way to me.

I fully believe that if you focus on what you've got to do in life, that the right things will find its way to you, including love and I'm fully open to it. I'm not sure how long it can take, it can take 3 months, it can take 3 years. But when it comes, it comes and I'll be waiting.


Any advice for a new bachelor or bachelorette, if there were to be one?
Lee: When there is a new bachelor or bachelorette, I would definitely give them this advice: Just to stay authentic and true to themselves. And just treat everyone sincerely and kindly.

People will see through you if you try to be something you're not. Always give them honest opinions and advice - people appreciate that. Those are the few things that I'd recommend to the next bachelor or bachelorette.



ALSO READ: First season of M-Net's The Bachelor South Africa ends with Lee Thompson picking Gina over Jozaan although that romantic relationship didn't work out.