Thursday, September 4, 2014

The future of Fashion Police on E! Entertainment uncertain and unclear after the death of Joan Rivers at 81.


The immediate future of Fashion Police on E! Entertainment (DStv 124) is unclear, and the ongoing future of the weekly show uncertain, following the death of American comedienne Joan Rivers who was the host of the show since it started in 2010.

Joan Rivers died today, aged 81, when her daughter Melissa Rivers took her off of life support in the New York hospital where she was taken to, after she stopped breathing and suffered cardiac arrest following a minor throat operation last week.

Earlier today E! Entertainment issued an advisory saying there won't be any further Fashion Police episodes due to Joan Rivers' hospitalisation and that  "we will not be producing a Fashion Police this week or next week as we await Joan and Melissa's return in front and behind the camera".

Melissa Rivers who made frequent appearances on the show with the panel consisting of Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos, was the executive producer.

Advertised on E! the past week, the entertainment channel said E! Entertainment would be producing two E! From Fashion Week TV specials covering New York Fashion Week which started today.

The long term future of the highly rated and popular show is also uncertain, since Joan Rivers and her acerbic commentary was the driving force of Fashion Police as the panelist mostly reacted to her weekly fashion zingers instead of trying to be funny themselves.

Following Joan Rivers' death E! Entertainment issued another advisory regarding Fashion Police, the second one today, saying the future of Fashion Police is now uncertain.

"Right now we are mourning our beloved Joan. We will respond at a later date with programming updates".

George Kotsiopoulos tweeted: "Rest in peace Joan Rivers. Thank you for changing my life. I will miss you so much.

Kelly Osbourne, also in hospital with pneumonia, called Joan Rivers "the only grandmother I ever knew".

"I'm completely heartbroken by the loss of my beloved Joan. Not only was she my boss, she was and will always be my teacher, therapist, closest friend, inspiration and the only grandmother I ever knew. She was family and I will never forget her".

"I love you with all my heart Joan Rivers. My life will never be the same without you!"

"Joan, thank you for taking me in and loving me as a daughter. I will miss you deeply and will always hear your voice in my head saying 'my darling get out there and be you!"

Giuliana Rancic in New York said in a statement "It is almost impossible to describe how much I adored Joan and how much she has meant to me".

"She was not only the funniest woman I have ever met but was incredibly loving, honest, and lived her life with no regrets. Working with her for the last 13 years has been one of the true joys of my life. She could put a smile on your face, instantly, no matter how hard your day was."

"My life is so much fuller and happier because I got to share it with this beautiful person, a true genius. I woke up today unable to grasp what the world will be like without her and at the same time feel so privileged to have called her my friend."