Thursday, September 4, 2014

BREAKING. Joan Rivers of E! Entertainment's Fashion Police dead at 81.


Comedienne Joan Rivers, the acerbic host of Fashion Police on E! Entertainment (DStv 124) has died, her daughter Melissa Rivers says in a statement from Katz Public Relations. Joan Rivers was 81.

The trailblazing and sharp-tongued American comedienne who constantly reinvented herself with the prevailing popular culture passed today away after being taken off of life support.

"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers. She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends".

"My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother".

"Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated. My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon".

Joan Rivers stopped breathing during minor throat surgery last week and was rushed to hospital. She was placed into a coma which she was slowly being brought out of an was also moved out of intensive care.

The American comedienne coined the now used everywhere red carpet coverage phase: "Who you wearing?"

She never stopped working, her latest regular TV work was on the highly rated Fashion Police on E! Entertainment since 2010 with Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos.

George Kotsiopoulos tweeted: "Rest in peace Joan Rivers. Thank you for changing my life. I will miss you so much".

Kelly Osbourne, also in hospital with pneumonia, called Joan Rivers "the only grandmother I ever knew".

"I'm completely heartbroken by the loss of my beloved Joan. I love you with all my heart Joan Rivers. My life will never be the same without you!"

Giuliana Rancic in New York said in a statement "It is almost impossible to describe how much I adored Joan and how much she has meant to me".

"She was not only the funniest woman I have ever met but was incredibly loving, honest, and lived her life with no regrets. I woke up today unable to grasp what the world will be like without her and at the same time feel so privileged to have called her my friend."

In a statement E! Entertainment and NBCUniversal sent their "deepest condolences to Melissa, Cooper and her entire extended family on this incredibly sad day".

"For decades Joan has made people laugh, shattered glass ceilings and revolutionized comedy".

"She was unapologetic and fiercely dedicated to entertaining all of us and has left an indelible mark on the people that worked with her and on her legions of fans".

"She's been a much beloved member of the E! family for over 20 years and the world is less funny without her in it. Today our hearts are heavy knowing Joan will not be bounding through the doors".