Monday, November 26, 2012

BREAKING. Riaan Cruywagen signs off with a simple goodbye and hand salute after 37 years on TV: 'For me it was an exceptional privilege.'


With a simple hand salute and goodbye wave, a visibly slightly emotional Riaan Cruywagen - after 37 years the longest continuing presence on South African television and on TV news - signed off and said goodbye to millions of viewers on SABC2 at 19:00 during the Nuus om 7.

"My task is completed. Tonight, exactly 37 years after reading my first TV news bulletin, I'm retiring," said the dapper newsman, dressed in a black pinstripe suit with a red-and-white striped tie and matching red hankerchief; his hair as perfectly coiffed as ever.

"My heartfelt  appreciation goes to the Afrikaans news editorial staffs whom, over the decades, I've been privileged to work with - in the most recent times my bulletin editors Sandy Macdonald and Monica Ribbons, my executive director Kenneth Makatees and my pillar-of-support boss, Jimi Matthews."

"You know, TV news is a massive team effort, and I was just the ears of the hippo which stuck out. To you, the TV news viewers, thank you that you, over so many years, allowed me into your homes. For me it was an exceptional privilege."

"And when I look back, it was all just grace. For the very last time, goodbye. Good day," he said as the venerable newsman lifted his right hand and made a goodbye wave and hand salute to viewers."