Saturday, October 31, 2020

TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 31 October 2020.


Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:



■ Cheating scandal of Outsurance frontman and SABC3 Expresso presenter Katlego Maboe:








Because of Covid-19 the Disney+ streamer would have had a lot of other new TV series by now ... all delayed.

More Star Wars: The Mandalorian reviews:




"Kirstie, you are welcome to change the channel – just like countless viewers did every time Veronica’s Closet came on TV."



Rosemary "Rosie" Afuwape and "Kachi" Ucheagwu split which means an end to million naira TV wedding: "I don't need a man that is flippant at every slight provocation, behaving like a woman and wants to show me he is a man in a wrong way."


The closing date is 30 November 2020.

Insider says SABC3's cheater Expresso presenter Katlego Maboe is not the man he appears to be on TV, allegedly kissed Lay's Chips competition winner in Ukraine that led to hotel sex.


In new revelations a close confidant of Monique Muller says that away from the cheerful morning TV persona that Katlego Maboe presents to the world, there is a whole other side to the man who cheated on the mother of his child and who allegedly gave her a sexually-transmitted disease (STD) last year after he returned from a trip to the Ukraine that was sponsored by Lay's Chips.

To try and limit brand damage Cardova Productions has taken Katlego Maboe off the air from its weekday breakfast show Expresso on SABC3 this past week while Outsurance rushed to re-edit and scrub all traces of him from all of the insurer's TV commercials.

It follows after the shocking fallout from the video on social media that has gone viral, in which Katlego Maboe is confronted by his former lover and mother of his 2-year old son, Monique Muller. 

In the video, Katlego, dressed in a gown, sheepishly admits to having cheated on her with another woman identified as Nikkita Murray who has since locked her social media accounts.

In the video, Monique Muller accuses Katlego Maboe of giving her an STD that damaged her womb, and in another video she claims that Katlego Maboe allegedly physically abused her as well, saying that "When the first physical attack happened I got a protection order against him".

Katlego Maboe has since abruptly disappeared from the public eye, only releasing a terse statement, saying that "I was unfaithful to my partner during a very important time of our lives - an act I regret to this day. We are currently undergoing an unfortunate and painful separation which is being resolved through legal proceedings".

"In light of the comments made against me, I would like to state that I have never abused my partner," Katlego Maboe said.

Monique Muller got a protection order preventing Katlego Maboe from setting foot in the Seapoint flat in Cape Town that they used to share.

In new revelations in the latest 5 November issue of YOU and Huisgenoot magazines, a close confidant of Monique Muller reveals that Katlego Maboe is not the man that viewers see on TV.

In July this year, Monique discovered that Katlego Maboe allegedly gave her an STD. 

Katlego Maboe apparently travelled to Kiev, Ukraine to watch a soccer match while he was a brand ambassador for Lay's Chips where he later admitted to Monique that he kissed one of the women who won the competition on a dancefloor. 

He later allegedly had sex with this woman in a hotel room.

YOU and Huisgenoot obtained another video in which Katlego Maboe tells Monique that his shameful behaviour is because he thought that being on TV enabled him to engage in this type of behaviour and that he feels terrible about it.

In the video, Katlego Maboe says that when he's on people's TV screens he is forced to smile and look cheerful because it's his work - but that when he's off-camera he doesn't have to keep up a happy and friendly persona.

Following his cheating scandal that has damaged his public reputation and trust, Outsurance has rushed to edited Katlego Maboe out of its "Chencha dai deng" TV adverts, now only showing testimonials of customers without Katlego interviewing them.

Expresso publicist El Broide said in a statement that the SABC3 show "condemns any acts of violence and mistreatment, especially against women and children, and therefore take such allegations very seriously".

"Until such time as the matter has been fully investigated, and pending the outcome, Katlego Maboe will not be appearing on Expresso".

Interestingly, a week later GoBinge has not yet published the sit-down interview that the YouTube channel did and teased with Monique Muller since last weekend in which she talks about how Katlego Maboe had allegedly physically attacked her and how the TV presenter cheater on her.


Friday, October 30, 2020

TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 30 October 2020.


Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:















■ South Africans are tired of "doing the right thing" when it comes to paying their SABC TV Licence fees and won't stand for being taxed more to fund the SABC simply by watching MultiChoice's DStv or Netflix SA.



What will happen to American-produced linear pay-TV channels like E!, Universal TV, Studio Universal and others carried on platforms like DStv in Africa?


Thursday, October 29, 2020

TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 29 October 2020.

Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:












■ eMedia Investments refuses to talk about it but e.tv has upgraded its Openview decoders that have a WiFi hotspot option and functionality now - very likely in anticipation of the launch of its Openview Plus streaming service.


Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Coronavirus: CBS Studios in America reduces the episode orders of new seasons of several scripted drama series due to Covid-19 production challenges.


by Thinus Ferreira

CBS Studios in the United States has decided to reduce the number of episodes of new seasons of several scripted series because of production challenges given the Covid-19 global pandemic.

Producers and production companies need more time to craft and film episodes given new precautionary measures, including on-set, as well as remote working and social distancing regulations. 

Production costs have also increased because of Covid-19, meaning that fewer episodes can realistically be produced within the same budget constraints.

The upcoming new seasons of NCIS (seen on M-Net, DStv 101 and Universal TV, DStv 117), Blue Bloods (seen on M-Net City, DStv 115), Bull (seen on M-Net, DStv 101), The Neighborhood (seen on 1Magic, DStv 103), SEAL Team (seen on M-Net City, DStv 115) and Magnum P.I (seen on M-Net, DStv 101), that were all renewed for 22 episodes, will now all be reduced to either 16 or 18 episodes for their latest seasons.

The modified number of episodes per CBS Studios show for their new seasons are: Blue Bloods (16), Bull (16), Magnum P.I. (16), The Neighborhood (18), NCIS (16), NCIS: Los Angeles (18), NCIS: New Orleans (16), and SEAL Team (16).

As more American studios ramp up production on new seasons, more of them might very well announce truncated and scaled back episode orders for their latest seasons.

TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 28 October 2020.


Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:



"Rather than just seeing it as a competitor, well there are ways that we can all benefit, including Disney and us, from new entrants in the market."


Worldwide - including South Africa and across Africa where Disney hasn't launched Disney+ - viewers can't wait for the second season of the  Disney+ that will very likely see another massive spike in pirate viewing.




Discuss his "mental fear" of ruining his new TV series because he's the lead on the call sheet.








Demands that the sanctions and fines be withdrawn and that the corrupt NBC follow correct legal procedures.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 27 October 2020.


Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:
With her bizarre and highly erratic behaviour once again visible on-air, insiders working behind-the-scenes at The Wendy Williams Show seen on BET (DStv 129) say "it's like coming to work and watching a trainwreck every day".
- Production staff is at a loss over what to do.


Video streamer on defence in its Q3 earnings call with investors as Netflix admits that its content catalogue of titles is now smaller than what it used to be.



Hospitalised Saturday after unbearable chest pains started this past weekend.


When a child is involved, cheating becomes that much more difficult and destructive.








"The future of press freedom in Nigeria is under massive attack to muzzle journalists."

Monday, October 26, 2020

Health shock: SuperSport's Neil Andrews set for triple bypass surgery on Tuesday, hospitalised Saturday after unbearable chest pains.


by Thinus Ferreira

Neil Andrews (55) is missing from his sports throne in SuperSport's Studio 6 in Randburg with the legendary presenter who is confronting a health shock and is set to undergo triple bypass surgery on Tuesday after confronting unbearable chest pains since this past weekend.

The Sporting Post reports that Neil Andrews admitted himself to hospital on Saturday after pains in his solar plexus became unbearable.

Known to millions of SuperSport viewers over decades, the well-liked and highly respected Neil Andrews will undergo a triple bypass operation at the Fourways Life Hospital in Fourways, Johannesburg on Tuesday.

The highly respected sports commentator and Tellytrack and SuperSport presenter who was born in England but emigrated with his family to South Africa in 1975, is married to Hlohlo and he's the father of Elijah Gabriel Andrews (10 months), Noah Benjamin (2) and Brighton Nathaniel (7). 

He has a daughter Melissa Jade (23) and son Gregory (19) from a previous relationship.

In June this year Neil Andrews opened up about the stressful impact that the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown has had on his and his family, telling The Sporting Post that "As with every South African, this time has been a real challenge both financially and emotionally".

"But I am mindful that I remain abundantly blessed.  I have a beautiful, healthy young family, and my wife and I have witnessed them growing up literally in front of our eyes for every minute of every day."

SuperSport in response to a media enquiry about Neil Andrews on Monday night told TVwithThinus that "SuperSport can confirm that Neil has been hospitalised and will undergo surgery tomorrow. That said, his spirits are up and he says he's feeling fine."

Nigeria's corrupt National Broadcasting Commission fines TV channels over protest news coverage, threatens to shut them down.


by Thinus Ferreira

In a shocking announcement, Nigeria's corrupt National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) on Monday announced that it is levelling fines against some of Nigeria's TV channels - including Arise TV, Channels Television and AIT - over their #EndSARS protest news coverage which the country's beleaguered president Muhammadu Buhari doesn't like, and threatened that they may be shut down.

Nigeria's NBC said that it will shut TV channels down if they continue to broadcast news coverage that the NBC and Nigerian government sees as instigating a breakdown of law and order in the West African country, or if they broadcast anything that "threaten the security of the country".

Armstrong Idachaba, NBC acting director-general, on Monday suddenly announced at a press conference in Abuja that Arise TV, Channels Television and AIT are each being fined N3 million (R127 862) for what the NBC unilaterally decided is "unprofessional coverage".

The NBC last week ordered Nigeria's TV channels and radio not to "embarrass" Nigeria as a country with their coverage of the "#EndSars" protests sweeping the struggling country.

Armstrong Idachaba claimed that Arise TV, Channels TV and AIT were guilty of "gross violation of the broadcast code, top of which is the use of unverified online video footage from social media". 

As public protests and civil unrest exploded and spread in Nigeria last week following the indiscriminate killing of protesters by Nigerian special forces, multiple TV news channels in Nigeria had their news crews attacked, their buildings and studios invaded, burnt and destroyed.

Angry and fearful Nigerians have been demonstrating for the past 2 weeks against the notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) police unit that Nigerians accuse of gross extortion, harassment, torture, police brutality and murder.

The Channels TV channel meanwhile abruptly stopped broadcasting on Wednesday afternoon soon after TVC News started to burn.

Channels, carried on MultiChoice's DStv and GOtv in Nigeria, simply showed the channel logo and ran an on-air scroll simply saying "Channels Television is temporarily shutting down due to imminent attack on our staff and operations".

Channels later switched to recorded rebroadcasts.

Reporters of African Independent Television (AIT) and Silverbird Television were reportedly harassed while trying to cover the unfolding protests in Nigeria, while Toyin Yusuf, a journalist with Osun State Broadcasting Corporation was attacked. 

Meanwhile Nigerian soldiers prevented a TV news crew from Arise TV from covering the news at the Lekki Tollgate.


TV NEWS ROUND-UP. Today's interesting TV stories to read - 26 October 2020.

Here's the latest news about TV that I read and that you should read too:


■ SABC3's Expresso presenter Katlego Maboe and that sexually transmitted disease (STD): No place to hide for TV personality.
Allegedly also cheated on Monique Muller while she was pregnant with their son and multiple other times claims her brother Seth Muller.

Alleges that she got a restraining order the first time he hit her: "When the first physical attack happened, I got a protection order against him. He then admitted to sleeping with this woman".





Why are some people making the Katlego Maboe cheating and alleged abuse scandal about the issue that the shocking video should have been kept private, instead of the serious contents of the video?


- 25 million pay-TV subscribers to cancel over next 5 years; 

- Pay-TV operators no longer care whether customers subscribe or not but just keep increasing prices;
- billions in losses in revenue for Disney, NBCUniversal, WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS, Fox, Discovery Inc., AMC Networks;
- golden goose of bundling TV channels dying;
- Video streaming not the saviour and not superior;
- pay-TV channels like ESPN likely to cut back on programming, that will likely lead to less viewers;
- the total TV channels bundle is going to shrink





Absurd tax is similar to King William III of England who introduced a daylight tax in 1696, causing people to brick up their windows to block the sunlight.

- Attorney: Neither MultiChoice nor Netflix SA is obliged to accept the responsibility of collecting SABC TV Licence fees.

The SABC needs to choose whether it is a public broadcaster or a commercial competitor, it cannot be both.

Advertisers and the public have been given every reason to tune out of the SABC. The SABC doesn't even know who has a TV set.





Growing evidence that the video streamer is close to saturating its biggest markets.

"I have made mistakes along the way."


Diego Demarco of the TV news channel En Vivo El Nueve mugged in Buenos Aires, Argentina.





Drama continues over disastrous Dinner at Somizi on M-Net's 1Magic (DStv 103) that is allegedly content theft of Hastings Moeng's original idea.