Showing posts with label Gugu Zuma-Ncube. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Gugu Zuma-Ncube. Show all posts

Wednesday, August 6, 2025

'Severe cash-flow contraints': Stained Glass TV forced to shut down production on SABC1's Uzalo over non-payment, 186 cast and crew told filming is paused 'with immediate effect'


by Thinus Ferreira

The biggest TV show on South African television has been forced to shut down production indefinitely due to non-payment by the SABC, with the Durban-based Stained Glass TV that has been forced to end production of Uzalo due to cash-flow problems impacting more than 56 cast members and 133 crew.

Stained Glass TV produces Uzalo for the South African public broadcaster, but also since earlier this year the Skeem Saam timeslot replacement since late-April on SABC1, Amalanga Awafani, which is also set and produced in KwaZulu-Natal. 

It's not yet known whether Stained Glass TV has been forced to also shutter production on Amalanga Awafani

"Dear team, we regret to inform you that, due to severe cash-flow constraints, we are compelled to pause production with immediate effect," co-executive producers Gugu Zuma-Ncube, Pepsi Pokane and co-owner Theo Moodley told the Uzalo cast and crew in an internal memo on Monday 4 August.

"Please know that we are actively engaging with the SABC to resolve the matter as swiftly as possible. We understand the impact this has on each of you and remain committed to keeping you informed as the situation develops."

"We are deeply grateful for your unwavering passion, professionalism, and dedication to this special production. Your contribution continues to inspire us, and we are doing everything in our power to get back on track."

Stained Glass Productions was asked for comment, when its cash-flow problems with Uzalo started and what led to it, when it last received payment from the SABC, when it was last supposed to get paid by the broadcaster, as well as how and possible when Stained Glass TV sees the money crisis and production shutdown getting resolved.

Stained Glass TV's answers will be added here once received.

The SABC was also asked in a media query about Uzalo's production shutdown due to cash-flow problems and comment will be added here when received.

Stained Glass TV responded with a statement, passed along from the SABC, saying: "There is no production break on Uzalo, and production continues as scheduled. The SABC remains committed to its partnership with the production company, Stained Glass, and values the continued contribution of the cast and crew."

"As a matter of principle, the SABC does not discuss the details of contractual agreements in the public domain."

Stained Glass TV was asked if there were no production break, why were the Uzalo cast and crew told that production is being paused, but the production company declined to provide an answer.

An insider told and confirmed to TVwithThinus that production crew didn't get paid and were told that production is stopping despite the spin that the SABC might try to put on it to keep the news from being public within the production industry.

Another source said the SABC has been making late payments to Stained Glass TV for Uzalo quite a while, although the production company them took on additional work with Amalanga Awafani.

"People are not worried that Uzalo will shut down in the sense of going off air, but it's a worry about constantly wondering if you're really going to get paid."

Uzalo is the latest in a string of SABC shows that have been forced to literally shut down production over the past while after production companies have not being paid as contractually agreed by the financially struggling South African public broadcaster.

Before Uzalo, shows like 7de Laan, The Estate, Skeem Saam and Muvhango airing across SABC1, SABC2 and SABC3 have shuttered production after the SABC failed to pay on time.

Just this year, Skeem Saam and Muvhango joined Uzalo in halting production in 2025 over non-payment. 

Meanwhile, Kew Productions took the SABC to court over its non-payment and had to sue the broadcaster this year just to get paid what it was owed for the unpaid part of a R10 million contract for seasons 12, 13 and 14 of the travelogue series Voetspore that used to be on SABC2.

The major crisis is waiting to be resolved by Maijang Mpherwane who has just returned since August to the SABC as the broadcaster's new head of video entertainment, with the Uzalo production shutdown that is his first big schedule stability headache.

Nomsa Chabeli, SABC CEO, told parliament recently that the SABC is prioritising paying the parastatal signal distributor Sentech first, which it owes more than R1 billion in outstanding debt. 

It means that some production companies are underpaid less than what they are owed, or nothing. 

"We pay Sentech first before we pay any of our service producers, meaning that producers come after the Sentech payment," Nomsa Chabeli said.

Monday, April 27, 2020

Coronavirus: Uzalo to remain shuttered after South Africa's most-watched TV show applied and got 'an essential service' permit.


by Thinus Ferreira

South Africa's most-watched TV show, Uzalo on SABC1 produced by Stained Glass TV, has been told to remain shut down after it tried to resume production during the ongoing Covid-19 national lockdown period when it applied and was approved as an "essential service".

All South African local TV and film productions were shuttered following president Cyril Ramaphosa announcement of a national lockdown period to try and curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in the country - including Uzalo.

The local prime time soap however applied for exempt status as an essential service and was approved with a permit issued by the Company and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC).

The hugely popular, local weekday soaps seen on the South African public broadcaster's channels, the free-to-air commercial broadcaster e.tv, and those produced by M-Net for its 1Magic (DStv 103), Mzansi Magic (DStv 161) and kykNET (DStv 144) and kykNET & Kie (DStv 145) channels on MultiChoice's DStv pay-TV service attract a combined evening audience of millions of viewers but like restaurants are not an essential service.

Last week insiders raised concerns about the eye-popping approval of Uzalo to continue production, wondering if permission were perhaps granted because Uzalo co-producer Gugulethu Zuma-Ncube is the daughter of Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, South Africa's current minister of cooperative governance and traditional affairs, and former president Jacob Zuma.

Uzalo's last new, stockpiled episode will be broadcast on 8 May on SABC1, after which the show, filmed in Durban and set in KwaMashu, will have to go into repeats. It is SABC1 and South Africa's most-watched TV show and in March saw a ratings surge, climbing almost a million viewers from 9.31 million viewers to 10.29 million viewers

The SABC has now said that under no circumstances is Stained Glass TV, owned by Gugu Zuma-Ncube and Pepsi Pokane, or any other local production company to resume production on entertainment shows before the national lockdown period is over.

Uzalo was told to keep the cameras switched off and work on the public broadcaster's local TV productions will remain suspended.

Mmoni Seapolelo, SABC spokesperson, told TVwithThinus on Monday that "The SABC maintains that all its productions remain closed until a collective decision regarding production houses resuming work is made, in line with government regulations".

"We would also like to reiterate that we have put measures in place including crucial engagements with relevant stakeholders concerning the organisation’s delivery on the set local content quotas."

"Based on the president’s announcement to move to alert Level 4 of the lockdown from 1 May 2020, the department of communications and digital technologies, and the department of sport, arts and culture, are developing a proposal on mechanisms to ease the lockdown on productions."

"Once the guidelines and framework for easing restrictions on productions are finalised, the SABC will apply its mind to make informed decisions regarding resuming work on impacted productions. For now, work on productions will remain suspended."

Mmoni Seapolelo says that "the SABC continues to ensure full compliance with all regulations set by the government during this period as well as strictly prioritising adherence to health and safety measures, for the benefit of our employees and production houses alike".

Stained Glass TV was asked why it applied to film Uzalo and saw it as an essential service, what the SABC said when Uzalo wanted to resume production, and how the show films when make-up, hair, wardrobe and other technical production aspects make social distancing extremely difficult or impossible.

Stained Glass TV didn't answer any of the specific questions but told TVwithThinus on Monday that the show remains shut down.

"Uzalo will only resume production post the extended lockdown. It is important to us to do our part in this effort to combat the Covid-19 global pandemic and safeguard our cast, production crew and the greater community."

 Meanwhile, it looks like the Uzalo cast and crew might have to remain at home for even longer.

With an ongoing increase in cases Durban might very likely remain at Level 5 lockdown from 1 May and beyond. Sihle Zikalala, KwaZulu-Natal premier, on Sunday said at a press conference that parts of the eThekwini municipality that includes Durban will very likely remain under Level 5 conditions from May.

"As things stand it looks like eThekwini will still remain under stricter lockdown regulations compared to other districts, unless there is a drastic change in the coming days," Sihle Zikalala said.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

KwaMashu set prime time soap Uzalo on SABC1 extended to 5 days a week from 1 February; actors Glen Gabela, Luthuli Dlamini added.


Uzalo on SABC1 will roll out more episodes per week from 1 February 2017, with the KwaMashu set prime time local soap that will add episodes on Thursdays and Fridays.

The extended weekly episode order kicks in from the third season next year, with 5 episodes per week for the Stained Glass Pictures show filmed in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, that's been ramping up production in order to deliver 66% more of Uzalo per week to viewers.

It follows after the off-the-cuff announcement in mid-July by the SABC's controversial and famously matricless boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng in a press conference to address the unfolding set of crises at the beleaguered South African public broadcaster, that he has decided Uzalo will be increased from 3 to 5 episodes per week.

The increased episode order and on-air play-out on SABC1 for the Gugu Zuma-Ncube produced soap will only kick in from the 3rd season in February 2017, since the fixed episode order, budget and contract couldn't be altered this year so late into the second season.

Uzalo remains the most watched TV show in all of South African television - as well as the most watched soap, and most watched show on SABC1 - with a top viewership in November of 8.13 million viewers (23.8 AR, 67 share).

Joining the cast is Luthuli Dlamini - known in the South African TV biz and television soap industry for infamous disappear acts from shows like Generations and e.tv's Scandal! - in the role of a lawyer.

Also playing to type (cast) is Glen Gabela, taking over and reviving the role of the first season character of Pastor Mdletshe from the fired Bheki Mkhwane who left Uzalo under a cloud.

Glen Gabela who was seen as Judge Jacob Mweli in Mzansi Magic's (DStv 161) Doubt this year previously played Pastor Solomon in SABC2's Hopeville and Pastor Titus in Mzansi Magic's Remix.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Uzalo co-producers Pepsi Pokane says R14 000 per minute production cost for Durban soap is 'industry standard'; Gugu Zuma-Ncube says she's 'used in political fights'.


Uzalo co-producer and co-owner Kobedi "Pepsi" Pokane says the R14 000 per minute price tag to make the SABC's expensive hit Uzalo is "industry standard", while the other co-producer and co-owner Gugu Zuma-Ncube also lashed out saying "I'm still being used in political fights that have nothing to do with me" and that Uzalo is currently the TV show that bring in the most advertising revenue for the SABC.

The Sunday Times yesterday reported that the SABC confirmed that its famously matricless and scandal-riddled chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng  single-handedly overturned a panel decision not to renew the expensive soap shot in Durban that is co-produced and co-owned by president Jacob Zuma's daughter, Gugu Zuma-Ncube.

Hlaudi Motsoeneng defied an earlier decision by a 6-person SABC panel in April 2015, including executives Clara Nzima, Maretha Bakkes, Vanessa Jansen and Reneilwe Sema who decided that the SABC will not to continue with the extremely expensive three episodes a week soap produced in Durban by Stained Glass Pictures.

Uzalo, funded to the tune of millions of rands by the SABC as well as the KwaZulu-Natal provincial government where there's been vocal objections about it in its legislature the past year, is currently the most watched soap and TV show out of all programming on the SABC, and also the most watched TV programme in all of South Africa television.

On Monday morning on radio 702, Pepsi Pokane told presenter Redi Tlhabi that "pressure from the sales division of the SABC ccame into play and questions were asked. Why was this review panel held in the absence of certain key members of management that should have been on the review panel?"

"How is it that a show that is reviving the fortunes of SABC1 in terms of revenue alongside Generations and Skeem Saam is being cancelled? These are all questions that were apparently asked internally and then the question came up: What is the motivation for cancelling the show if it ticks all the boxes? That is where the reversal came into play," said Pepsi Pokane.

Pepsi Pokane said Uzalo's production budget of R14 000 is normal. "I challenge any producer out there to come and tell me that R14 000 is too much. We are getting R14 000 a minute. That is industry standard."

Gugu Zuma-Ncube also put the issue on blast, responding on social media with tweets saying "Uzalo was recommissioned because we broke all viewership records in our timeslot. We were and continue to be the number 1 show in South Africa".

She said "it is more expensive to produce television in Durban than it is to produce television in Johannesburg".

Gugu Zuma-Ncube said Uzalo is the TV show that brings in the most advertising revenue for the SABC and that in four years Uzalo will produce 628 episodes. "I can't help who my parents are. But what I have always done is to put my head down and and I work harder than everyone around me".

She said that "literally being the best at what I do doesn't matter. I'm still being used in political fights that have nothing to do with me".

SABC confirms boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng single-handedly overtuned a panel decision not to renew expensive SABC1 soap, Uzalo, of Gugu Zuma-Ncube.


The SABC has confirmed that its controversial and famously matricless boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng single-handedly overturned a decision by a 6-person SABC panel not to continue with a second season of the SABC1 soap Uzalo shot in Durban, and said Uzalo will be recommissioned.

The Sunday Times on Sunday reported that Hlaudi Motsoeneng as the chief operating officer (COO) overturned a decision by a 6-person SABC panel that included SABC executives Clara Nzima, Maretha Bakkes, Vanessa Jansen and Reneilwe Sema who decided not to continue with the extremely expensive three episodes a week soap produced in Durban by Stained Glass Pictures.

Uzalo that costs millions of rand to produce is paid for by the SABC and funded to the tune of further millions by the KwaZulu-Natal government where there's been ongoing, vocal complaints about the millions the cash-strapped province is paying Uzalo that could go to other things.

After the first season of Uzalo that the SABC originally said was to be a telenovela - meaning a close-ended show, Uzalo was suddenly turned into an ongoing soap. Reportedly the SABC experienced problems with Uzalo in terms of delivery of episodes, and problems with the writing and look of the show.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago confirmed to The Sunday Times that Hlaudi Motsoeneng overturned and changed the decision to cancel Uzalo and ordered that the show, co-owned and co-produced by president Jacob Zuma's daughter Gugu Zuma-Ncube, continue for a second season and beyond.

"The SABC can confirm that the COO overruled the decision not to renew Uzalo, based on performance in its genre and growth in revenue."