The South African public broadcaster has appointed Sylvia Tladi, the head of the SABC's TV Licence division as its latest acting chief operating officer (COO).
She replaces Dr Craig van Rooyen who unexpectedly quit as acting COO citing personal reasons and who replaced Chris Maroleng who was fired.
Earlier this week the SABC on Wednesday in parliament, Madoda Mxakwe said that the beleaguered and technically insolvent SABC has a massive problem with SABC TV Licences and that although the SABC's database has 9.6 million SABC TV licence fee payers, only a shockingly low 2.2 million people are still bothering to pay their licence fees, with "455 000 doing it in instalment terms. As you can see the gap is quite huge".
Sylvia Tladi runs the SABC's struggling TV licence fees division since May 2013, with the SABC that out of everybody available Sylvia Tladi "is best suited to act whilst the organisation finalises the process of appointing a permanent chief operating officer".
Sylvia Tladi joined the SABC in 2004 as the manager for business accounts at the SABC TV Licence fees division and became the compliance manager for business and retailer accounts at the division in 2011.
In 2012 Sylvia Tladi was appointed as the acting SABC TV licence division boss and was permanently appointed in the role since May 2013.
Sylvia Tladi has been in charge of managing the entire TV Licence division which has seen multiple ongoing challenges and problems ranging from system issues to the hiring and firing and non-permanent staffers angry over their employment status, and irregularities and allegations of corruption over outsourcing of work to SABC TV licence fees debt collection agencies.
Showing posts with label COO. Show all posts
Showing posts with label COO. Show all posts
Saturday, August 31, 2019
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Another SABC top executive quits as Dr Craig van Rooyen says he's exiting for personal reasons while COO instability continues at South Africa's public broadcaster.
Dr Craig van Rooyen announced that he's quitting his top-executive position at the South African public broadcaster where he was acting chief operating officer (COO) and the SABC's technology boss, continuing the COO position instability at the country's struggling broadcaster.
In yet more bad news from the SABC, Dr Craig van Rooyen will exit the SABC on 9 September 2019, announcing that he decided to quit because of "personal and family reasons" after just four months acting as the embattled SABC's COO.
He was also the SABC's chief technology officer and was involved in crafting the SABC's latest turnaround plan at the bloated broadcaster that is experiencing a severe financial crisis.
Dr Craig van Rooyen was appointed as acting COO after Chris Maroleng was fired after just a few months as the SABC's new permanent COO over charges of gross negligence.
Basically insolvent, the SABC's will likely end the 2018/2019 financial year with another massive loss of R568 million after the R622 million loss of the 2017/2018 financial year.
The SABC in a statement said that the SABC board will be interviewing potential COO candidates this week and will be advertising soon for a new technology boss to replace Dr Craig van Rooyen.
"My decision to leave the SABC is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make, due to my good working relationships at the corporation. The CEO Madoda Mxakwe and the CFO Yolande van Biljon have made my decision to leave a particularly hard one," Dr Craig van Rooyen said in the statement.
"As executive directors, they have demonstrated a serious commitment to people, improving SABC processes, driving customer relations and making the SABC financially sustainable. Moreover, having been involved in crafting the SABC’s turnaround plan, I am confident that the SABC will overcome its challenges in the short term and become successful in the long term."
Bongumusa Makhathini, SABC board chairperson, in the statement says "Dr Craig has played a meaningful role in developing the digital strategy of the SABC, including preparing the SABC for digital migration and becoming a multi-platform, multi-channel player".
"In the last three months, Dr Craig van Rooyen was also acting as the corporation's COO. He has modelled the way for future COOs by demonstrating ethical leadership, technical expertise and business acumen."
Sunday, September 25, 2016
Some SABC board members plan to 're-appoint' invalid Hlaudi Motsoeneng as 'acting chief operating officer', decision slammed by board member Krish Naidoo.
Here is the draft letter that was leaked to TV with Thinus on Thursday by SABC insiders.
SABC board members - including Hlaudi Motsoeneng who isn't supposed to be an employee of the SABC anymore according to the Supreme Court of Appeal (so how can he vote?) - were asked this week to vote him(self) "back" into the SABC as "acting chief operating officer (COO).
On Monday after a protracted court case that the famously matricless Hlaudi Motsoeneng kept appealing, the Supreme Court of Appeal found Hlaudi Motsoeneng's appointment as permanent COO invalid.
After the Supreme Court of Appeal ruling, some SABC board members - in a plan spearheaded by SABC board chairperson Obert Maguvhe to keep the "rare skill" Hlaudi Motsoeneng at the SABC, hatched a plan for a "round robin" vote to vote Hlaudi Motsoeneng back as "acting COO".
The Public Protector in her February 2014 found that Hlaudi Motsoeneng is a liar
The Public Protector in her February 2014 found that Hlaudi Motsoeneng "should never have been appointed at the SABC".
The Public Protector in her February 2014 found that Hlaudi Motsoeneng was directly involved in several instances of gross maladministration, dramatic salary increases for himself and others that ballooned the SABC salary bill, and implicated him in getting rid of everyone at the SABC who testified against him at an earlier disciplinary hearing.
In the draft resolution sent to SABC board members, as part of a convoluted back-door plan, the minister of communications Faith Muthambi is asked to reappoint Hlaudi Motsoeneng as acting COO.
The department of communications says it hasn't yet received such a letter.
"Since the next board meeting is scheduled for 28 October 2016 the board is requested to recommend that the Honourable Minister approves the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng as the acting COO for the period 19 September 2016 to 18 December 2016 on a Round Robin basis," says the draft document.
"The appointment will be tabled at the next board meeting for ratification."
SABC board member Krish Naidoo in reports said the SABC board's plan is illegal and that he didn't vote yes to support the resolution.
Krish Naidoo told The Times and EWN radio that "when a court says Hlaudi Motsoeneng should not be COO and you appoint him acting COO, it means you haven't applied your mind".
"The SABC is an important institution. The president and the ANC should open their mouths now and say something decisive".
Krish Naidoo slammed other SABC board members saying those who voted in favour of appointing Hlaudi Motsoeneng as "acting COO" are "acting contrary to the rule of law".
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)