Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Fired SABC news boss Phathiswa Magopeni says SABC CEO Madoda Mxakwe 'tried to control and silence me' as she again says there was political interference at the public broadcaster, reveals board member asked her to interview president's wife.


by Thinus Ferreira

The fired SABC News boss Phathiswa Magopeni says there was political interference at the South African public broadcaster into the operations of the SABC News newsroom, that SABC CEO Madoda Mxakwe allegedly tried to "control and silence me", and that besides requests from the chairperson and SABC CEO to interview president Cyril Ramaphosa, another SABC board member asked her to interview his wife.

In her latest statement, Phathiswa Magopeni doubles down on her earlier statements that SABC CEO Madoda Mxakwe and SABC board chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini are allegedly guilty of direct political interference for having asked her to do an interview with ANC and South African president Cyril Ramaphosa before the national municipal elections in South Africa in 2021.

About SABC CEO Madoda Mxakwe, Phathiswa Magopeni, says "As I have come to know him, whenever I stood my ground when we had serious disagreements on organisational matters, he would accuse me of abuse, and this was meant to control and silence me".

"But the message he sent me saying, 'It stops here', was the breaking point and a premeditated dismissal by my line manager."

"It was an indication that Madoda Mxakwe would never work with me again. All that followed in that grossly flawed disciplinary process was to effect my dismissal at whatever cost."

She alleges that the SABC CEO and SABC chairperson bullied her.

"They both pressured and bullied me without success into approving the unplanned interview and bypass stipulated editorial processes. The same bullying comes through in their responses to my grievance."

Meanwhile Daily Maverick reports that Phathiswa Magopeni has now also revealed that SABC board member Professor Saths Cooper allegedly told her to interview president Cyril Ramaphosa's wife Dr Tshepo Motsepe.

Phathiswa Magopeni revealed that Professor Saths Cooper allegedly sent her a message on 2 December 2021 that reads: "Change focus, go for wife on a very different kind of feature; use me as reference saying I've been pushing you. She knows me from her 1st year medical school days".

"As women are viewers on 1 &2, it'll be a hit – her life etc."

Professor Saths Cooper denies interfering in the operations of the SABC News newsroom.

Phathiswa Magopeni was also in conflict with the SABC's plan to shut down the SABC News Pretoria office as part of planned cut backs.

"I argued that anyone who understands the significance of a public news service in any country would be able to comprehend that SABC News cannot be without a presence in the capital city."

"This is the seat of government, as well as the base of international representatives. I said it would be unimaginable for the BBC to be without a presence in London."