Thursday, February 17, 2022

MultiChoice and M-Net bring Somizi Mhlongo back as Idols judge on Mzansi Magic despite abuse allegations: 'My private life is my private life'.


by Thinus Ferreira

M-Net and production company [SIC] Entertainment confirmed that they are bringing back the controversial socialite and choreographer Somizi Mhlongo as a judge to Idols on MultiChoice's Mzansi Magic channel despite unresolved serious allegations of physical abuse.

After Idols viewership plunged with the show that shed over a third of its ratings in season 17 last year with Somizi Mhlongo that abruptly departed, Somizi Mhlongo is returning for the 18th season despite the unresolved allegations.

Randall Abrahams and Unathi Nkayi who didn't see their contracts as Idols judges renewed, have now been replaced by artist Thembi Seete and rapper-producer JR Bogopa.

The South African version of the Fremantle format show has Gavin Wratten as director and executive producer, along with Anneke de Ridder and ProVerb (Tebogo Thekisho) as co-producers, with ProVerb also being the host.

Somizi Mhlongo stands accused of alleged shocking physical violence and emotional abuse - charges he has not been cleared of - including allegedly chasing his former lover Mohale Motaung with a knife

TVwithThinus asked Somizi Mhlongo if he thinks that the drama from his personal life will overshadow season 18 of Idols.

"If you have noticed, I've never spoken about anything and I believe my private life is my private life and my work life is my work life, so I'm still staying there," he says.

"I feel like I can't say anything at the moment and I don't want to say anything at the moment with regard to that. All I can tell you is it was one of the toughest times of my life and my career but we move forward and like we say: 'Innocent until proven guilty".

Nomsa Philiso, MultiChoice's head of programming for general entertainment, says "We're excited to have Idols return for an incredible 18th season".

"To have such longevity in such a fast-changing industry is no small feat, and we're proud to keep giving our viewers what they love. One of the key components in having staying power is evolution, and our new-look panel is part of that."

"Idols is an important part of our creative industry. Not only do we unearth hidden talent, but we also nurture our contestants and equip them with the necessary tools to start or grow their careers. It's a privilege to be able to do that for another season."