Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Season 7 of Nigerian Idol adds D'banj and Simi as judges, Obi Asika returning as a judge with IK Osakioduwa back as host.


by Thinus Ferreira

The award-winning entertainer, D'banj and singer-songwriter Simi have been added as judges for the 7th season of Nigerian Idol that will start on 6 February, with IK Osakioduwa back as the host and with Obi Asika returning as a judge.

"We could not think of a better trio to be the season’s judges than Obi Asika, D’banj and Simi," says Dr Busola Tejumola, MultiChoice Nigeria executive head of content for West Africa channels.

"The three of them combined bring decades worth of experience in the music and entertainment business, as well as individual mastery of their crafts. We have no doubt that they will keep the viewers entertained in what will be a spectacular season."

D'banj says "I was out of the country when I found out that I was going to be a judge for this season of Nigerian Idol and I couldn't contain my excitement. I'm coming in with my own strategy so viewers should expect a bang."

Simi says "I've always loved the idea of being a judge and I think it's a fun thing to do. I plan to be very honest and have fun and hopefully gain inspiration from those that come on the show".

Obi Asika says "I will be looking for special talents and new faces this year. I'm also excited to work with the rest of the judges this season, and I will be very fair and real to every contestant just like I was last year."

Kingdom Kroseide won the 6th season of Nigerian Idol, with online and physical auditions that took place in November 2021 for the upcoming 7th season.