Thursday, May 13, 2021

Ellen to end: Ellen DeGeneres to end her American daytime TV talk show with season 19 in 2022, 'ratings have tanked and she knows her time is up'.


by Thinus Ferreira

With plunging ratings of over 40% this year following revelations of bullying and a toxic workplace Ellen DeGeneres has announced that she is ending her American daytime talk show with season 19 of The Ellen Show in 2022 that will be the last.

Staffers at The Ellen Show were told on Tuesday and will discuss her decision in the episode that will be broadcast in America on Thursday with Oprah Winfrey as her sit-down guest.

According to sources who spoke to The Daily Mail who broke the news before Ellen was ready to announce it, "she has had enough and told her team that she's done". "The ratings have tanked and have been truly appalling this year and Ellen knows her time is up".

Ellen has lost millions of viewers in the United States in the latest 18th season that M-Net broadcast on VUZU (DStv 116) after shocking revelations surfaced of how staffers have been treated behind-the-scenes at the Warner Bros.'s Telepictures produced show.

Several top executives were fired after an internal investigation into the toxic workplace at Ellen.

The revelations severely damaged the reputation of Ellen DeGeneres known for her "be kind to another" public image, who opened her 18th season with an apology when she told viewers that "I learned that things happen here that never should have happened. I take that very seriously. And I want to say I am so sorry to the people."

On the episode of Ellen that was broadcast on Wednesday in America, Ellen said "Today I am announcing that next season, season 19, is going to be my last season."

Her audience laughed.

"So, the past 18 years, you have to know, has changed my life. You all have changed my life. And I'm forever grateful to all of you for watching, for laughing, for dancing, sometimes crying. This show has been the greatest experience of my life, and I owe it all to you."

"I want you to know that I've thought a lot about this decision. I sat with it for a while. I meditated on it. I talked to Portia. I talked to myself." 

Mike Darnell, Warner Bros. unscripted television president, in a statement says "Although all good things must come to an end, you still have hope that the truly great things never will".

"The Ellen Show started as the little programme that could and became an absolute phenomenon. Over the years, it established itself as the premier destination for both superstars and incredible heartfelt human interest stories."

"The show and Ellen brought comedy, joy, happiness, comfort (and dancing!) to countless millions every day for 18 years. It was and is an indelible piece of the television landscape, and it will be sorely missed."