Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Wendy Williams Show on BET takes another break after the death of Wendy Williams' mom Shirley.


by Thinus Ferreira

The Wendy Williams Show seen on BET (DStv 129) has once again gone on a break in the United States from this week after talk show host Wendy Williams revealed that her mom Shirley had died.

The Wendy Williams Show will return with new episodes in America the new year after Christmas on 4 January 2021.

The show released a statement, saying "The Wendy Williams Show will air repeats to allow Wendy to travel and be with her family at this time".

"The show will return with original episodes on Monday, 4 January 2021. Debmar-Mercury extends its deepest condolences to Wendy and her family".

While the 12th season of The Wendy Williams Show on BET started on 21 September 2020 in America, ViacomCBS Africa only managed to start running them almost a month later in October. It means that viewers in Africa will still continue to see new episodes on the BET Africa channel with repeats that will only start here in roughly early-January 2021.

Wendy revealed in this past Friday's episode that her mom passed away. 

Shirley, who made several appearances in the past on her daughter's show, passed away on 29 November according to Wendy's brother Tommy Williams who revealed the exact date in a YouTube video. Shirley's funeral took place this past weekend in Miami, Florida. 

Wendy said on Friday's episode that Shirley "passed away beautiful and peacefully and surrounded by love".

"My mom and I, our relationship became closer and closer when I went to college. Our relationship was like that of two teenage girls - 17, if I could pick an age," Wendy said.

"You know if you have siblings, each of you has different relationships with your mom and dad… Right up until the end, my relationship with my mother was so girly and ridiculously giggly. We would do our nails together and we’d watch Housewives or American Greed."

"Gone is the best mother, the best girlfriend a girl could have. I am fortunate I had her in my life all of my 56 years".

Wendy said "She is everywhere; first thing I think about in the morning, the last thing I think of when I go to sleep."