Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Programming note: Nine years later, National Geographic Channel looks back at 9/11 and the moment that shocked the world.


On Saturday evening, 11 September September 2010, National Geographic Channel (DStv 260) will look back at the moment that shocked the world of this century, when the channel broadcasts My 9/11: I Was There at 20:00.

My 9/11: I Was There recalls the horrific events of 11 September 2001 by using eyewitness video to reconstruct the tragic events as they unfolded on that day in New York when two planes crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. My 9/11: I Was There includes a personal account from the man who gave the unprecedented order to ground all commercial flights in American air space, a Pentagon staff sergeant who repeatedly raced back into burning wreckage to pull people out in a bid to save their lives, and the paramedic who was called to a smouldering field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania only to find that there was no one to be rescued.

Footage from the Pentagon crash site taken shortly after impact is included in My 9/11: I Was There and captures a raw view of the devastating aftermath. Cameras throughout New York and Washington document the chaotic evacuation of congressional leaders and other officials from the Capitol and White House. Viewers will also get to go inside Air Force One, where journalists watch news coverage of the towers burning.