Thursday, August 19, 2010

BREAKING. Is SABC group CEO Solly Mokoetle on the verge of being suspended by the SABC board?


You're reading it here first.

I can exclusively reveal that the SABC is completely abuzz with rumours since yesterday afternoon when word reached me that it seems as if group CEO Solly Mokoetle has apparently received a letter from the SABC board informing him that he now has to state reasons why he shouldn't be suspended.

Usually very reliable sources from within the South African public broadcaster whispered to me yesterday that Solly Mokoetle - who not longer has the confidence of the majority of the SABC board - is on the verge of being suspended. This turn of events - if it happens - would be mirroring Solly Mokoetle's predecessor Dali Mpofu who got suspended numerous times in a protracted battle with the former SABC board - as well as the SABC's former group executive for commercial enterprises, Gab Mampone, who was suspended by the broadcaster in February.

Neither SABC board members that I called late yesterday, nor the SABC officially wanted to be drawn on this issue when I asked them all. One SABC board member told me ''I rather don't want to comment on that'' - read into that what you will. The SABC told me if execs are suspended, they issue a press release. But then again, TV with Thinus always has that news before the official statements anyway. Another high level SABC exec told me: ''I also heard that. I also hear those stories but I don't know if its true.'' As of yet, this is only a rumour since I can't get a close source directly tied to this to officially confirm whether Solly Mokoetle actually did receive a letter warning him of a possible suspension. If I get word, of course I'll spill it right here.