Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jo-Ann Strauss hosting Sunday's Miss SA 2009 pageant - 'It really IS a full circle moment for me'.




The beautiful Jo-Ann Strauss who won Miss SA 2000 is the host of the Miss South Africa 2009 pageant broadcasting live on Sunday evening on SABC3 from 19:30 to 21:00 from the Sun City superbowl.

Jo-Ann is very busy with rehearsals for Miss SA and all the behind the scenes work for tomorrow evening's LIVE broadcast, but still took a moment to have a chat with me about her ''full circle moment'', what viewers can expect from tomorrow night's live broadcast, and some advice for the girls.


How is hosting something like Miss South Africa different from your other TV presenting work like Top Billing?
Well, Miss South Africa is a live TV broadcast. You get once chance and obviously you don't want to make any mistakes. Hosting Miss SA this year is also very sentimental for me. It was exactly 9 years ago when I won and when – if I can call it that – my ''journey in media'' started. So I'm very, very excited.

That's actually what I wanted to ask you about next. You've gone from winning Miss SA in 2000 to now hosting Miss SA on Sunday evening. How do you feel about this full circle moment?
I think it's fantastic. It is a full circle moment for me. And I have the same designer! The top South African designer Gideon who dressed me in 2000, has dressed me again for Sunday evening – so it really is a full circle moment for me. And it's the same team I'm working with again as I did then 9 years ago. I think it's totally the right space, the right time, and the right moment.

What are some of the stuff viewers will see in Sunday's broadcast?
Viewers can get ready for some great performances from some of the most amazing South African artists. And it's a diverse range of performances. Also the ladies are looking fantastic, I'm standing in the rehearsal room right now as we speak – and they're dressed by some of the top SA designers as well. And the pageant is also taking a much more modern approach this year – I'm sure viewers will enjoy it. And I mean, Miss SA is an institution! It's always so much fun to watch. I remember growing up and watching it with my mom - it's a TV tradition.

Any advice for the girls for after Miss SA?
Just to enjoy every moment on stage and just to enjoy the year ahead and to make the most of the opportunities that comes your way.

Miss South Africa 2009 pageant, live on Sunday, SABC3, 19:30 - 21:00.