Tuesday, December 8, 2009

BREAKING. SABC3 has Ugly Betty (finally). And it's beautiful.


You're reading it here first. SABC3 which acquired the broadcasting rights a while ago finally has the dramedy Ugly Betty on the schedule. The first season of Ugly Betty will start on SABC3 on Monday, 18 January at 21:00. Episodes will go out Mondays to Wednesdays.

M-Net has ''first run'' rights on Ugly Betty and the 4th season starts in January on the pay channel. I've watched up until episode 8 last night that aired Friday in America and the show is brilliant.

Like Betty I've worked many years in a magazine environment and I laugh and I cry with every episode because of the truth it contains. A former editor of mine at a magazine once said: ''This magazine is NOT Ugly Betty.'' I laughed in my head. Because I thought: ''IT SO IS!''

If you haven't had an opportunity to watch Ugly Betty yet, imagine the movie The Devil Wears Prada but as a TV show that grows and characters from inside America's magazine world. America? Yes. There's two America's because America Ferrera plays the ''ugly'' Betty Suarez who works at MODE magazine with ''beautiful'' people. Vanessa Williams is simply superb and brilliant as the boss from hell, Wilhelmina Slater.