Tuesday, January 17, 2012

BREAKING. Oprah Winfrey on if she will be endorsing Barack Obama for a 2nd term as president of the United States: 'He doesn't need me.'


You're reading it here first.

Oprah Winfrey, asked on the CNBC Africa (DStv 410) programme Africa Prime by interviewer Godfrey Mutizwa if she's going to be endorsing the American president Barack Obama for a second term during this year's upcoming presidential election in the United States, the talk show host didn't give a straight yes or no answer and said ''he doesn't need me''.

Oprah Winfrey's endorsement - as reportedly the most influential woman in the world - ensured according to research as many as 1 million votes to Barack Obama's presidential bid in 2008 to help him become American president. The move reportedly cost Oprah Winfrey support as she lost some of her viewers who distanced themselves from her after her political endorsement.

While he will be seeking a second term in office in the United States later this year, Barack Obama's popularity has sharply declined in recent months in the United States due to a gridlocked US Congress, a stubbornly high unemployment rate and a resession hammered economy.

Asked if she will be endorsing Barack Obama for a second term, Oprah Winfrey told Godfrey Mutizwa that ''I don't need to do it again. I don't think he needs me''.

''The moment for me to step up for Barack Obama – you know I am still a big supporter, a big fan, a believer in Barack Obama – but that was a moment that was needed then,'' she said in the hour long interview that was broadcast on the South African business channel Tuesday evening.

''I did that then because even my own friends didn't know who Barack Obama was. Now the world know who Barack Obama is. He doesn't need me. But am I a supporter of his? Yes.''


ALSO READ: Oprah Winfrey called sexual molestation scandal at her school ''our little crisis''; still and will always believe her girls.
ALSO READ: Oprah Winfrey on her school for girls in South Africa: ''There were times when I was brought to tears and to my knees with this whole process.''
ALSO READ: Oprah Winfrey on the hair-raising problem at her private school for girls: ''Now weaves have hit Africa and it's a lot harder!''
ALSO READ: Oprah Winfrey opens up about starting and running OWN, her Oprah Winfrey Network: ''Far more challenging than I imagined.''
ALSO READ: O so superstitious! Oprah Winfrey believes in round numbers ... and she reveals why!