Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BREAKING. Not so fast, says M-Net. WE have the exclusive first run broadcasting rights for the new drama American Horror Story.


Not so fast. We have the broadcasting rights to American Horror Story, M-Net tells me.

That comes after I spilled yesterday RIGHT HERE that the rights to the new big-buzz drama series American Horror Story starting soon in America revolving around a family who moves into a haunted mansion, has been scooped up by FX (TopTV 110).

As I was writing the news, Fox International Channels (FIC) that runs channels like FX and Fox Entertainment in South Africa, FIC put out a press release saying that it's picked up American Horror Story and will roll it out around the world simultaneously, a strategy it executed with success for the first season of The Walking Dead on FX, and is going to be doing with the second season of The Walking Dead from next month as well.

FIC said American Horror Story will bow internationally in the first week of November, shortly after the show has started in America in October.

''FIC has proven that it can launch a series around the world by treating it as a blockbuster movie," said Hernan Lopez, president and CEO of FIC in a press release. ''We believe American Horror Story is the next global hit that our viewers and platforms have come to expect from our channels."

M-Net says that the pay broadcaster has first dips on American Horror Story and that the show will not be going to FX that recently grabbed the wanna-watch buzz-a-lots The Walking Dead and Falling Skies. M-Net says it can assure me ''that M-Net has secured the rights to the exclusive first run of American Horror Story from Fox''.


Something, possibly, almost similar happened in June regarding the teen drama Teen Wolf.
Regarding my Teen Wolf scoop I never said it, or wrote about my process of doing, researching and sourcing this story - I only broke the news that Teen Wolf is coming to Vuzu. What I can reveal now, is that I've actually already had a whole other, already written up, first draft of that story. That story, which never ran, broke the news that MTV - not Vuzu - had Teen Wolf. Because I haven't yet published that draft, I could and did change it, although I've put a lot of work into it already. I had to amend the whole story angle to Teen Wolf coming to Vuzu.

And I can't tell you how surprised MTV was when I had to tell MTV that they won't have Teen Wolf first anymore in South Africa. It came as news to them when I discovered that Vuzu has it on their schedule and told MTV that Vuzu's now planning to show Teen Wolf soon. MTV told me they didn't know that and will find out what is going on; then came back a day later and said the show was actually sold at an international TV market to M-Net, with Vuzu obviously being an M-Net channel.

It will be interesting to see what in fact happens now with American Horror Story.