Thursday, July 23, 2020

TRIGGER WARNING. Coronavirus: eNuus anchor LiMari Louw on kykNET reveals that she wanted to take her own life because of Covid-19.


by Thinus Ferreira

The Afrikaans eNuus anchor on kykNET (DStv 144) LiMari Louw has revealed that she considered suicide but in a personal post on her Facebook page implored people struggling with similar feelings not to go through with such an act.

The anchor who has struggled with depression and recently with the Covid-19 national lockdown situation in South Africa, wrote and said that "if you're now reading here and you're really suffering in one way or another and are considering to give up on life because you're tired of struggling, lost courage and have no hope for you or your family's future, I'm asking you now - don't".

"Why listen to ME, you wonder? Because I've been there myself."

LiMari Louw explains how she started to do less and less news reading which was her choice.

"The past month or so I've more and more seriously considered taking my life. I would never because no matter what whoever says - I still consider it a selfish act and would never do such a thing to my parents or Sunette. But I was close."

She details how she and her life partner Sunette had to start making plans during Covid-19 to try and prevent a financial catastrophe. "Sunette, for instance, sold her car - we're not driving with my car, we had to cut a lot of expenses and I've had to absorb more and more financial pressure since I constantly had to take on more debt to keep our heads above water".

"I'm asking you now, literally with tears in my eyes: Just keep going on. God is 5 000 000 000 bigger than a pandemic trying to steal everyone's joy. Yes, you will have difficult times and could at some point lose everything - but like us - believe me, better times are ahead."


■ If you or someone you know needs help with suicide, anxiety or depression, call the South African Depression and Anxiety Group's 24-hour helpline at 0800 456 789 or 011 234 4837 or the Whatsapp chat number 076 882 2775, the Suicide Crisis helpline at 0800 12 13 14, or Lifeline SA at 0861 322 322.