Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Lee Thompson, South Africa's hunk of The Bachelor South Africa coming to M-Net, says he's a master - guess at what.


Lee Thompson, the hunk that women will fawn over from 14 February in The Bachelor South Africa on M-Net (DStv 101), says he is a master - a master at braaing.

In an interview with East Coast Radio on Wednesday, Lee Thompson - an international model, an entrepreneur running a cleaning and a web development business, and a former Sharks rugby player who will pick and choose beauties from February as South Africa's first TV bachelor - said that he is still single "because I've been so focused on my career and getting my life in place that in terms of creating that success and that platform to build that family, that I haven't fully focused on my love life".

"I see The Bachelor SA and this journey as a perfect opportunity to fully focus on that and potentially find the one," he said.

"When they asked me to be a part of this, I just saw it as a great opportunity, and it's a unique way of finding love - but it's still a way and I'm so excited for the opportunity."

Lee Thompson watched a few episodes of the American version of The Bachelor with an ex-girlfriend because he was forced to, he says. "From seeing it, I was always sceptical, but after watching a full season of Australia season 1 just to do a bit of homework and to see what it's about, I thought that I could do this and I trusted that M-Net and Rapid Blue would come up with some magnificent contestants to choose from and I've met some wonderful and unique individuals through this journey."

Lee Thompson said the producers "were looking for someone who was truly looking for love and looking to settle down and create a family and start a life with, and that's my true intentions. That's the real reasons why I'm here".

"I'm a very optimistic person and potentially I could find the one. We'll have to wait and see."

"I don't like to box people in or label anyone. I have done that in the past but through this journey I've learnt not to do that because there are so many unique and diverse people in South Africa. I used to have a type but after this journey I've learnt to open my mind and just accept many different people and I've surprised myself. Do I have a type? Not necessarily."

"It's about that person having the right soul, the right mind; just someone I can be myself with and enjoy life with."

Lee Thompson revealed that "braaing is definitely one of my favourite things to do. I'd like to think of myself as a master braaier".