Saturday, December 1, 2018

FOX, National Geographic and Cosmos producers investigating Neil DeGrasse Tyson over sexual misconduct allegations.


FOX, National Geographic and the producers of the Cosmos series of which he is the presenter are investigating astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Two women on Thursday claimed that Neil deGrasse Tyson made inappropriate sexual advances.

"We have only just become aware of the recent allegations regarding Neil deGrasse Tyson. We take these matters very seriously and we are reviewing the recent reports," says FOX and National Geographic in a statement.

The producers of Cosmos in a statement says "The credo at the heart of Cosmos is to follow the evidence wherever it leads".

"The producers of Cosmos can do no less in this situation. We are committed to a thorough investigation of this matter and to act accordingly as soon as it is concluded."

The second season of the revived Cosmos is supposed to be broadcast from 3 March 2019 on National Geographic (DStv 181 / StarSat 220 / Cell C black 261).

Katelyn Allers, a Bucknell University physics and astronomy professor, is accusing Neill deGrasse Tyson of groping her at a 2009 meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

Ashley Watson, a former assistant of Neil deGrasse Tyson, said he tried to persuade her to have sex with him and made inappropriate comments and as a result quit her job.


UPDATE SUNDAY 2 December 07:30:

Neil deGrasse Tyson in a statement on Facebook says "I've recently been publicly accused of sexual misconduct".

"These accusations have received a fair amount of press in the past 48 hours, unaccompanied by my reactions. In many cases, it's not the media's fault. I declined comment on the grounds that serious accusations should not be adjudicated in the press. But clearly I cannot continue to stay silent."

Neil deGrasse Tyson says he welcomes an independent investigation "which FOX/National Geographic (the networks on which Cosmos and StarTalk air) announced that they will conduct".

"I'm the accused, so why believe anything I say? Why believe me at all?"

"Accusations can damage a reputation and a marriage. Sometimes irreversibly. I see myself as loving husband and as a public servant – a scientist and educator who serves at the will of the public. I am grateful for the support I've received from those who continue to respect and value me and my work."