Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Debbie Meyer, head of current affairs at eNCA and e.tv, leaving after nearly 17 years, says 'it's something I have been thinking about for a while'.

eNCA and e.tv is losing its head of current affairs, Debbie Meyer, as the next high-profile name who is exiting the eMedia Investments TV fold.

Her resignation comes at the same time as that of eNCA's star court and crime reporter Karyn Maughan whose last day at eNCA (DStv 403) is today.

While some eMedia Investment staffers said Debbie Meyer is leaving as part of a retrenchment deal, Meyer denies it and says it's her decision to leave and that she has been thinking about it for a while.

Debbie Meyer has been the executive producer of current affairs at eNCA and e.tv. e.tv was asked in an emailed media enquiry last week why Debbie Meyer is leaving and who will be replacing her, but didn't answer the question. 

Debbie Meyer told TVwithThinus that "after nearly 17 years at e.tv and eNCA, I have decided to move on to the next phase".

"I have loved working here, starting off as a producer on 3rd degree and then heading up current affairs. It’s something I have been thinking about for a while, and now that my youngest son has finished school, the timing seemed right."

Asked what she would be doing next, Debbie Meyer says "I will be taking a break for a few months, which will include some travel. After that, I’ll explore some freelance options".

"My journey here has been an incredible one, and I have worked on and started up some great shows – Late Nite News (LNN), Checkpoint, Backchat, Tech Report, Justice Factor to name a few. I will miss the heartbeat of this place a lot – it’s in my blood and been part of me for so many years."