Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Voice SA winner Craig Lucas says the M-Net show forced him out of his comfort zone: I was scared of getting on stage and feeling completely alone'.


The winner of the second season of The Voice South Africa, Craig Lucas, says he's lived a very sheltered life and that the singing competition reality show on M-Net helped to push him beyond his comfort zone and to be less scared of new things and change.

On Sunday evening on M-Net (DStv 101) Craig Lucas was announced as the winner at the end of the live 2-hour finale of The Voice SA, produced by AMPN, from the Mosaiek Theatre in Fairland, Johannesburg.

Craig Lucas wins a record deal from Universal Music South Africa and other sponsored prizes that include R250 000 in cash, a smartphone, watch, camera and flat screen TV set, R100 000 of clothes from a retailer and a car.

Asked about what music will be on his first album he said "I write song of many different kinds. Every week I feel like I've got a different sound going, but at the core of it is, whatever sound it's going to be, it's going to real and it's going to be emotional and come from a very genuine place."

Craig Lucas said "I didn't realise the power of my support until I won because there was always that doubt in my mind that I'm probably not going to make it to the next round."

"Before The Voice South Africa I've lived a very sheltered life - I don't try new things, I don't go to new places. I'm scared."

"The Voice SA just sort of forced me to get out of my comfort zone, with the songs I sing, or what I do on stage or even with what I wear."

"And a couple of months I would have never thought that I could have done this. I probably would be shaking just seeing all of these people in front of me. It just taught me to be unafraid. And even if I didn't win, I would have missed out on all of this, so that's the best thing I got out of the show."

His advice for future contestants of The Voice South Africa is "your friends and your family - that's your safe spot".

"You know that they'll always be honest with you. Just have them close and involve them in your music as well, so that you don't feel alone. That's the thing that scared me the most - getting on stage and feeling completely alone".