SABC3: YET ANOTHER BIG SCHEDULE SHAKE-UP

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

ANN7 abruptly cancels its South African of the Year Awards for 2016 two weeks before the time, suddenly citing unexplained 'unforeseen regulatory circumstances'.


The Gupta-owned TV news channel ANN7 (DStv 405) has abruptly cancelled its South African of the Year Awards 2016 event after viewers already voted and two weeks before it was set to take place on 25 November, suddenly citing vague "unforeseen regulatory circumstances".

It's unclear what "unforeseen regulatory circumstances" could lead to a TV awards show being scuppered, especially the ANN7 one that's taken place and been broadcast on the channel twice before.

ANN7 that didn't issue a press statement to TVwithThinus about the SATY 2016 cancellation for the year, ran an announcement in sister newspaper The New Age and an on-screen notification on the channel on MultiChoice's DStv satellite pay-TV platform that the awards show and concert for 2016 is suddenly off.

"The postponement is due to unforeseen regulatory circumstances that have materially impacted on logistics for the event. Regretfully this has left us with no choice but to seek a new date in the near future. We look forward to confirming a rescheduled date," said ANN7, noting that "a new date will be announced in due course".

The sudden South African of the Year Awards 2016 cancellation is the latest embarrassing turn in the history of the ANN7 awards show where ANN7 already announced that American singers Jennifer Lopez and Robin Thicke would perform this year.

ANN7 also said that the SABC3 Top Billing presenters' trio of Bonang Matheba, Jonathan Boynton-Lee and Jeannie D would have been the main hosts at the Ticketpro Dome event on 25 November for which tickets were sold.

Maps Maponyane and Hulisani Ravele have been presenting a South African of the Year Awards 2016 profile show on ANN7 showcasing the various nominees.

On 4 November ANN7 and The New Age suddenly and quietly removed the name of the controversial Eskom CEO, Brian Molefe and friend of the Guptas, from the voting list in the category for South African of the Year without any explanation.

ANN7 didn't respond to media enquiries about the cancellation for 2016 of the South African of the Year Awards.

ANN7 was asked what the "unforeseen regulatory circumstances" that caused the sudden cancellation and why it would cause an award show to be cancelled that's been held twice before.

ANN7 was asked why Brian Molefe was suddenly removed as a candidate in the flagship categories for the #SATY2016 and what will be happening to the votes and the money that the South African public had already made and spent since SMS voting cost R1.50 each.

ANN7's South African of the Year Awards has been mired in scandal. Last year after announcing Christina Aguilera as the headline act, she suddenly backed out and cancelled, leaving Infinity Media Networks red-faced who replaced her with Jason Derulo.

Last year's SATY Awards was suddenly changed from a concert with ticket sales to an "invitation only" closed event with other media locked out.

Jason Derulo in turn embarrassed ANN7 and the SATY's and caused massive backlash after insulting South Africans during his performance when not enough stood up when he called and he said "Y'all speak English, right?"