Wednesday, May 4, 2016
SABC dumps print as SABC boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng says: 'We don't see a need to use print media'; will no longer use print to advertise jobs and tenders.
The controversial and famously matricless SABC boss Hlaudi Motsoeneng says the public broadcaster is done with print, that the SABC "don't see a need to use print media" and that it will immediately stop advertising jobs and tenders anywhere else than through SABC channels.
Besides dumping print, also effective immediately, the SABC has stopped using external marketing agencies to promote the public broadcaster and its various programmes, channels and stations.
"The SABC has decided that it will advertise its employment vacancies and tender advertisements on the SABC's television, radio and digital platforms only. This decision will be implemented with immediate effect, henceforth, the public broadcaster will no longer place advertisements in any print and other media platforms," said Hlaudi Motsoeneng in a statement.
"The SABC also decided that the services of external marketing agencies will no longer be utilised as the corporation has sufficient internal creative capacity to deliver on any related marketing campaigns".
In an inteview on the SABC2's Morning Live, Hlaudi Motsoeneng said "people who want to do business with SABC; they should use our platform. We as SABC so, too, we must use our platform that we put tenders on our radio platforms. Because we have those platforms."
"We don't see a need to use print media. When actually we have more platforms. People listen to SABC, watch SABC. And we are saying those who want to do business with SABC now is the time for them to listen to our radio stations, to watch television. They will have all information that they need," said Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
The SABC's chief financial officer (CFO) James Aguma said the SABC's marketing budget is about R180 million and wants to "redirect a couple of those millions of rand by getting people who are already employed to do those tasks".
A print media relationship of the SABC that will continue is the controversial one with the Gupta-owned newspaper The New Age in the form of The New Age breakfast briefings that the SABC televise on SABC2 as an extension of its Morning Live show.
Over the past two years Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been vocal with his views on and criticism of South Africa's print media, calling South African print media "propaganda" in July 2014 and saying it is "portraying and even poisoning the mindset of people".
Hlaudi Motsoeneng previously repeatedly called for the "licensing" of South African journalists and in September 2015 said he wants social media, especially Facebook and Twitter in South Africa "to be regulated".