Thursday, August 6, 2015

TV producer and director Christo Gerlach dies unexpectedly from congestive heart failure after hernia operation.

The veteran South African TV producer and director Christo Gerlach has died unexpectedly on Tuesday following an operation for a hiatal hernia. Christo Gerlach was 58.

Christo Gerlach was well-known and often seen behind the scenes of kykNET (DStv 144) entertainment magazine shows like Tonge Los and Glitterati which he produced and directed and appeared in Afrikaans drama series ranging from Sterretjie to Vyfster and several others.

Christo Gerlach was also the producer of the very first season of Idols on M-Net, and wrote the book Agter Die Skerms (Behind the Scenes).

Actor and entertainer Denver Vraagom said "My director, my producer! But above all, my friend and confidante! You took me under your wing when I arrived [in Johannesburg], for the second time."

"Who can ever forget the first season of Zing! on KykNET and M-Net? You showed me the ropes of presenting and taught me how to enjoy myself and be myself in from of the camera."

"We shared a lot of special moments together! If I wasn't comfortable with something, whether it be with myself or a part that I got asked to do, I could always just call you. Thank you for always being there. Always loved! Always respected! RIP dear Christo."

Christo Gerlach was hospitalised two weeks ago in eMalahleni and underwent an operation for a hiatal hernia. Christo Gerlach died  unexpectedly on Tuesday morning at 02:00 from congestive heart failure.