Tuesday, July 10, 2012

BREAKING. My Top Billing Dream on SABC3 reveals the Top 10 contestants.


Top Billing and its reality show My Top Billing Dream (Tuesdays, SABC3, 20:00) just revealed the Top 10 contestants who over the coming weeks will have to endure gruelling and highly pressured real production situations or hang up his or her top hat.


The My Top Billing Dream Top 10 include in the contestants an opera star, models, entrepeneurs, academics, students, a navy doctor, filmmakers, dancers and even a flasher.


Top Billing executive producer Patience Stevens, Top Billing presenter Jeannie D and Jo-Anne Strauss were the three judges in the first episode.


"We wish each of the 10 finalists every success as they pursue their Top Billing Dream but there can only be one winner and that will be the one whose natural flair embodies the hallmark of excellence that has set Top Billing apart as South Africa's premier TV magazine show for the past 20 years," says Ed Worster, SABC3's acting channel head.


Khanya Ngumbela
This former Zoopy presenter wanted to study medicine or journalism to help people. "Zoopy was very scripted. With this competition my creativity gets taken into account. It definitely tests you in a way you can't prepare for," she says.
Lauren Wallet
This AFDA graduate's current  business is called  Malva - a pop-up stall showcasing creativity from various designers in South Africa. "I've leanrth so much but it's also been terrifying, in a good way," she says. "I've never been put in a situation like this."
Zama Ngcobo
This former SABC1 continuity presenter recently appeared in Generations. "I have a passion for the media. Presenting comes naturally to me, and I'd love to grow in this medium. Top Billing is the epitome of what one aspires to in this business. It's in a league of its own and I'm keen to learn the art of presenting."
Jonathan Boynton-Lee
This Rhodes University graduate in drama and TV journalism says he was stunned to hear he made it to the top 10. "It still doesn't feel like I'm in the Top 10. My feet haven't hit the ground yet."
Kerusha Kisten
This Durban law student says she's determined to make her dream of being a Top Billing presenter a reality. "I'm ready to take on this challenge. I have the passion and desire for it. It feels as though I've been chasing a dream and now I have the opportunity to catch it."
Lynelle Kenned
This Capetonian is a trained opera singer. "I come from humble beginnings, and the fact that so many people can relate to that makes me more accessible to a wider audience," she says.
Zama Mtshali
This Sharks flasher says "when I started watching Top Billing, I realised that this is what I wanted to do. Top Billing is different, it's not totally scripted. It's about personality and creativity, so I'd be able to show my quirky side on camera."
Chamendran Naidoo
This young doctor who works for the South African navy. He says you have to work hard for your dreams. "It's been a lot of hard work. You've got to know how to take criticism, learn how to enhance your strength and work on your weaknesses. If you can achieve this, you can achieve all your goals."
Greg Kriek
He has a degree in Global Business Leadership and a postgraduate qualification in film and television production. He has been working in developing his practical skills set as a producer, writer and actor. "It has been a dream, completely overwhelming. There's this excitement of not knowing what's coming next. It keeps you on your toes. In this scenario everyone is on an equal footing; no-one has a head start."
Lauren Blackwell
This edgy drama student lists dancing as one of her many passions. "I've always wanted to be involved in the showbiz industry, whether I am presenting, acting, writing or fetching coffee for the assistant of the assistant director."


ALSO READ: Backstory - How Jonathan Boynston-Lee's emotional backstory blows everything else out of the water.
ALSO READ: Product placement? Brand integration? Sponsor name-dropping? My Top Billing Dream on SABC3 gets it perfectly correct.