Thursday, March 24, 2011

BREAKING. SABC suspends more executives, makes more dubious executive level appointments, while staff resentment grows.


You're reading it here first.

Major internal turmoil continues at the SABC with the public broadcaster that has just suspended more executives, amidst growing unhappiness under staff with the new Turnaround Strategy and unilateral new appointments.

I can break the news that the SABC has suspended Themba Gasa, as well as Mona Vaqua in the SABC's Content Hub. I'm also hearing - although I don't have 100% confirmation on this one (yet) - that James Mathebula the SABC's acting head of internal audit has also allegedly been suspended as well.

I'm also told by sources that growing anger and resentment is building up within the SABC rank and file staff about the broadcaster's already maligned Turnaround Strategy. Staff claim that consultation have not yet started although the broadcaster is proceeding with implementing major and sweeping changes for Channel Africa (radio), SABC News, SABC News' provincial regions as well as the broadcaster's Media Libraries.

I can also reveal:
- that the SABC's new Turnaround Strategy proposes a new structure that instead of less executive group positions actually has more.
- I can tell you that Phumelele Ntombela-Nzimande got R1,8 million when her contract was canceled and her post made redundant. She also had 14 months left on her contract.
- At SABC News I'm told by sources that Simon Tebele has been appointed on general manager level, apparently without the job having been advertised.
- I can exclusively reveal that in the SABC's sales and marketing division Florence Kikine has been appointed. She's coming to the SABC from Absa bank under a cloud with serious allegations leveled against her that I can't mention here. I would desperately love to tell you what SABC staff are telling me that she's allegedly been telling them (unbelievable!) but that would be hearsay, so I can't do that either.

I have asked the SABC about all of these matters and the suspensions and the new appointments and I'm awaiting a reponse.