Wednesday, June 2, 2010

BREAKING. Redi Direko readying her big TV comeback with her own talk show: Get ready for Redi on Mzansi on Mzansi Magic.


You're reading it here first.

I can exclusively reveal that Redi Direko is readying her TV return, this time with her own TV talk show on the new Mzansi Magic channel (DStv 107), currently having the working title, Redi on Mzansi.

The media maven disappeared from South African TV screens in October when she gave up her co-anchoring job on the eNews Channel (DStv 403) of the prime time evening news bulletin News Night with Jeremy Maggs and told me then that it was because of work pressure. Redi Direko kept her daily, national radio talk show however.

Now Redi Direko is ready for her TV comeback with Redi on Mzansi, which will initially be a weekly TV talk show on the Mzansi Magic channel that will start broadcasting on July 12. ''It will be focused on entertaining topics and guests,'' Redi Direko tells me, ''not heavy content - and for now it will be on once a week and be light and fun.'' She says doing a new daily talk show on a brand-new TV channel would put everyone under too much pressure, so the show will start out with one episode a week.

''My show will be informative and entertaining. I want to show a side of me that hasn't come out yet on television before; that people haven't seen before. Most people know me for discussing hard core politics and debate on radio but with this new TV talk show I will have the opportunity to be myself and show a 'new' side to myself. We will do profile guests where I will do one on one's like with the Khanyisile Mbau's to talking about health and fitness. Redi on Mzansi will be about me and South Africa just having entertaining yet informative conversations,'' Redi Direko tells me.