Showing posts with label SOS. Show all posts
Showing posts with label SOS. Show all posts

Tuesday, January 28, 2025

e.tv to court again to demand further extension in South Africa's digital TV switch-over with 'devastating impact' warning for country's TV ratings

by Thinus Ferreira

South Africa's umbrella TV broadcasters, together with organisations supporting public broadcasting, are back in court demanding the government push out the analogue TV signal switch-off deadline date looming at the end of March, warning about the "devastating impact" and the loss of a third of the country's total public TV audience overnight.

The SABC, e.tv and community TV stations collectively face the existential danger of the overnight loss of millions of viewers on 1 April when their ratings will plunge and with that their precious ad income.

The SOS Coalition and Media Monitoring Africa (MMA) - organisations that lobby for the protection of public broadcasting - have now come on board and filed an affidavit in court supporting eMedia's e.tv that says it has once again been forced to go to court over the imminent switch-off date.

They say South African television risks losing almost a third of the entire remaining public access TV viewing audience overnight if analogue signals are cut in two months' time.

South Africa's last deadline date for the switch-off of analogue TV signals in the country's long-delayed digital migration process to digital terrestrial television (DTT) was 31 December 2024.

Last month, in another last-minute scramble, Solly Malatsi, minister of communications and digital technologies, hastily announced that the switch-off date would once again be pushed out by another three months to the end of March 2025.

But even these three months are not enough of a reprieve for the SABC, e.tv and community TV stations like Cape Town TV (CTV).

No money was budgeted for the DTT process beyond the end of last year and it is unclear where the department, parastatal signal distributor Sentech and others, will find the money for the current three-month extension that will cost millions more.

It costs the government and Sentech between R130 million to R160 million per year to transmit the same TV signal - for instance SABC1 or SABC3 - as both an analogue and a DTT signal, a process known as dual illumination.

Solly Malatsi is South Africa's 12th minister of communications and digital technologies overseeing the morass of the country's failed DTT migration process that has cost the country already over R12 billion over the past 10 years.

Last year the SABC told the department of communications and digital technologies that the public broadcaster would like the deadline to be extended by another year to the end of 2025. 

eMedia running the country's only commercial TV broadcaster e.tv didn't specify a specific extension date and said it isn't against the DTT process but that more time and a reasonable switch-off extension is required.

Now e.tv is once again taking the government to court over the disastrous DTT process and the latest deadline. 

The broadcaster already took the department to court previously and won in the Constitutional Court in 2022 over the DTT switch-off deadline.

Three years ago the court declared the then minister of communications' deadline of 30 June 2022 unconstitutional and recognised the massively adverse impact the switch-off then would have had on the public and the broadcasters.


Massive TV audience loss risk
On Friday SOS and MMA joined e.tv's latest court fight and lodged an affidavit at the High Court of South Africa in Pretoria, saying that although there's been yet another three-month DTT switch-off extension, that it is still not enough time to avert a South African public broadcasting disaster.

According to the groups' affidavit, the premature analogue signals switch-off on 31 March on the public, public broadcasting the SABC, community TV channels and e.tv would have a "devastating impact".

The groups are also upset about MMA and SOS "exclusion from regular consultations with broadcasters".

SOS and MMA note that if the government and Sentech were to flip the switches across the remaining provinces and kill analogue TV signals on 31 March 2025, "Poor and marginalised communities will be cut off from free-to-air television thus denying their right to access to information".

What will follow will be an immediate "Loss of advertising and sponsorship revenue for the SABC" with the groups warning that "The free-to-air audience will diminish from 55.1% of television household population to 26.6% of television household population". 

That will be 28.5% of the free-to-air audience - almost a third of South Africa's remaining public  TV audience that contribute to South Africa's television ratings - which will be gone overnight. 

"We are hoping that the High Court rules in the public interest as the Constitutional Court did in 2022," the groups say.

"We are also hopeful that the government will reconsider and postpone the analogue switch-off date of 31 March 2025 to ensure a proper roll-out of the set-top boxes (STBs) so that no South African
is left without access to television."


Battle to just get boxes
There are millions more South African TV households who either haven't had their free set-box box (STB) installed yet by the government as well as the "missing middle" who earn more than R3 500 and must buy one - although none exist in retail - and must still make the switch.

A shocking 467 000 poor households who have registered for the government-subsidised set-top boxes have not yet had these installed, with STBs gathering dust in locked South African Post Offices and Sentech warehouses.

This is also just the number of households the government is aware of and appears on its outdated database list. 

The department of communications and digital technologies has no idea how many people and TV households exist who are still making use of analogue TV and must pay to buy some type of bridging solution like MultiChoice's DStv, eMedia's Openview, a new DTT-enabled flatscreen TV set or some type of other STB.

This is also why the SABC wants to start its own satellite TV service, similar to Openview, to offer a type of pay-once solution to the "missing middle" to switch from analogue viewing to getting the SABC TV channels and radio stations through a decoder. 

The SABC says there are millions of these viewers in South Africa - TV households still on analogue who must pay for a STB but don't see the urgency or understand the need.

While e.tv refused to go along, kept its analogue signals on and was largely spared the devastating consequences of audience loss, the SABC that initially kept quiet and went along as the government turned its signals off in province after province over the past three years, saw its audience reach and ratings steadily diminish – something that the public has since called "devastating" and a "disaster".

Around 174 analogue transmitters across South Africa's most populated provinces - Gauteng, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape - are still on.

Collectively these four provinces' TV households represent more than half of South Africa's total population.

In the vast majority of cases, one "TV household" on the country's TV ratings system (TAMS) has multiple viewers. 

Depriving these TV households of their TV access will immediately wipe them - and the programmes they watch - from being counted towards the overnight audience ratings of shows ranging from Uzalo on SABC1, Muvhango on SABC2 and Scandal! on e.tv.

Besides viewers cut off from TV news, current affairs and other educational programming, lower ratings will force broadcasters like the SABC and e.tv to immediately lower ad fees on their rate cards, which will lead to lower ad income, and lower overall revenue.

The same goes for community TV channels like CTV and others already fighting an uphill battle with exorbitant signal transmission fees.

The struggling SABC is already technically insolvent and battling an ongoing trend of multi-year traditional TV ratings erosion and can ill afford a massive audience plunge.

Monday, November 12, 2012

It took all of 5 minutes for the Freedom of Expression Institute and the SABC to settle their fight before Icasa without saying a word about it.


It took all of 5 minutes this morning for the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) to meet with the Complaints and Compliance Committee (CCC) of the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) to withdrawn from public scrutiny its intended case and hard-fought right to have a hearing before the country's broadcasting regulator, into alleged Blacklisting practises of the SABC.

ALSO READ: SABC Blacklisting hearing finally back from today before Icasa after the High Court forces the broadcasting regulator to hear the matter.

Shock is reverberating through the broadcasting and media industry today at the FXI's unexpected withdrawal of an issue and a case dating back to 2006 - something the FXI went to court for after Icasa refused to hear the case, and which the South Gauteng High Court in January 2011 forced Icasa to hear.

That hearing into alleged Blacklisting of commentators and journalists by the SABC which was finally to be heard from today in a new hearing set to last this whole week, ended up lasting only five minutes with the FXI and the SABC withdrawing the case.

No details of the agreement between the FXI and the SABC have yet been released. I've asked the SABC earlier today about the case, and have as of yet received no response.

"Parties were engaged in a settlement agreement and the FXI hereby withdraws its complaints," advocate Nasreen Rajab-Budlender, acting for the FXI said during this morning's hearing.

Hamilton Maenetje, SC for the SABC, said the dispute had been resolved. "There is no complaint remaining. We ask for a termination of proceedings."

The terms of the settlement between the FXI and the SABC were not disclosed - ironic given that its the Freedom of Expression Institute and the public broadcaster.

It turns out that the FXI and the SABC have been meeting the past few weeks and last week hammered out a settlement between the institute and the public broadcaster.

The hearing, diarised to continue this entire week, would have cast a renewed spotlight on the SABC's news practises and reports since 2006 alleging that the SABC has been manipulated its news coverage through censorship by pre-deciding who the public broadcaster won't give editorial airtime.

"Sadly the issues of Blacklisting and censorship raised by this complaint remain as burningly relevant today as when they were first raised in 2006," said the Support Public Broadcasting (SOS) public pressure group in a statement before the hearing started this morning.

"To restore faith in the SABC's news coverage, we call on the SABC board, CEO and the acting head of news to publicly commit to news coverage that is hard-hitting, covers all points of view and ultimately holds those in positions of power to account."

Friday, July 8, 2011

BREAKING. Support Public Broadcasting Coalition (SOS) calls for all executive positions at SABC to be filled permanently by September.


The public pressure group Support Public Broadcasting Coalition (SOS) is demanding that the SABC board and the minister of communications, Roy Padayachie, ''live up to their stated commitment to have all executive positions [at the SABC] filled by competent candidates by September 2011''.

''The SABC requires vision from the top, and this cannot be achieved whilst people are in acting positions,'' says the SOS that represents a vast number of trade unions, independent producer organisations, academics and freedom of expression groups and institutions in South Africa.

At an emergency meeting held by the SOS the pressure group reiterated its stance that a policy review culminating in a new broadcasting act for South Africa is crucial and needed as soon as possible. ''The policy review needs to clarify the roles and responsibilities of the oversight structures, the SABC board and management to ensure clear lines of accountability and to safeguard the editorial independence of the SABC from all vested interests. The minister of communications needs to move swiftly on this review,'' says the SOS.

The SOS is also concerned about the lack of commissioning of new local programming by the SABC the past two and a half years on South African television. ''Requests for proposals (RFPs) for local programming have been repeatedly delayed for the last two years,'' says the SOS. ''Repeats and foreign content dominate our screens. The meeting thus called for the SABC to speed up their internal processes and to release these RFPs.''

The SOS asked that the SABC ''ensure that it improves its communications with all key stakeholders and that it will also ensure greater transparency in terms of its operations.'' The SOS asked that the ''department and ministry of communications move swiftly to launch their broadcasting policy review process'' and that it be ''an open, transparent and consultative process and all key stakeholders will be consulted.''

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

SOS on SABC News: ''It seems there is a culture of insecurity.''


You're reading it here first.

I have this reaction I can share with you first from the Support Public Broadcasting group (SOS) on the new drama happening inside the SABC News division of the SABC. On Sunday I spoke to Kate Skinner, SOS coordinator and this is what she said to me:

''What we are hoping, is that the new permanent SABC board focus their mind on ensuring that the SABC's news department is sufficiently and well-run and that they make sure that it is given the support that is needed.''

''They must employ as soon as possible the new permanent head of news. It seems there is a culture of insecurity and of having to watch your back, which is so totally counter productive for a news depart. We belive one of very first tasks is that the SABC board must ensure that the news department is given the support to be able to the job that it needs to do. News and public affairs are the bread and butter of what public broadcasting is about.''

''From SOS side we're watching the situation very closely. We're certainly calling the SABC board to urgently look at the issue of news and current affairs that is a total priority. If they're having all of these allegations now, there seems to be something badly wrong. We're calling on then to make that appointment as soon as they can.''